ONTAP Hardware

What is this little symbol next to my e0M port?

SEIMTEXTER

SEIMTEXTER_0-1599836086647.png

Looks like a little orange house with an x in front of it.

It's on a FAS8040 running ONTAP 9.7, and the GUI screenshot is from ONTAP System Manager, Network Overview tab.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tahmad

A LIF (logical interface) is an IP address with associated characteristics, such as a role, a home port, a home node, a routing group, a list of ports to fail over to, and a firewall policy. You can configure LIFs on ports over which the cluster sends and receives communications over the network.

for more information, refer to the below document:

What LIFs are 

When LIF is not home, this means that LIF was migrated to a different port. LIF is usually migrated, when the port or the node where the LIF exist is down. For more information:

Reverting a LIF to its home port 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ontapforrum

Pic is not very clear,  I am guessing that is a symbol representing 'Home with cross sign', ? most likely the LIF is not on the Home-port (might have moved due to network/port/cable issue)

Anyway, first identify if there are any lifs not-at-home.

In the GUI, where you saw that thing, is there a column that says "Is-Home" ? Most likely it will be 'No' next to that port.

From cmd line, you can identify non-home lifs:
::> network interface show -is-home false

If home-port is healthy, simply revert the lif.

SEIMTEXTER

There is no Is-Home column on the screenshot I have, unfortunately.  I also don't have access to this array.  What does LIF stand for, and what does it mean for a LIF to be home or not?  These are new concepts to me, I haven't done much administration of c-dot or ONTAP 9 in general.  Almost everything I've done is 7-mode at 8.2 and older. 

tahmad

A LIF (logical interface) is an IP address with associated characteristics, such as a role, a home port, a home node, a routing group, a list of ports to fail over to, and a firewall policy. You can configure LIFs on ports over which the cluster sends and receives communications over the network.

for more information, refer to the below document:

What LIFs are 

When LIF is not home, this means that LIF was migrated to a different port. LIF is usually migrated, when the port or the node where the LIF exist is down. For more information:

Reverting a LIF to its home port 

Public