ONTAP Hardware

"cluster_mgmt extended status: This LIF is down...

SEIMTEXTER

...because it is not configured in the network stack on node "2552-01". Wait a few minutes, then check the LIF's status again."

I have a FAS2552 that I can't add to oncommand system manager because its cluster management address is not responding, due to the error message above.  I don't know how to configure cluster_mgmt on node 01, but I also don't see how its any different than the configuration on node 02. 

Ontap 9.7.  running
network port show -node 2552-01 (or 2552-02) -port e0M
there's no difference in the output.  What is going on?

I can't get this to work.  Thanks for any info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jcolonfzenpr
Network Management Guide for ONTAP 9.7 and Earlier:

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/topic/com.netapp.doc.dot-cm-nmg/home.html

It was pinging today while IsHome was false, but the moment I reverted it, it went down again <+++ weird behavior

1. check for duplicate address

2. try to change the IP to other than .250

3. try to reboot the switch

4. try to reboot the laptop

Good luck!

Jonathan Colón | Blog | Linkedin

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jcolonfzenpr

can you show the output of?

network interface -role cluster-mgmt

network interface -role node-mgmt

network port show -health

Regards,

SEIMTEXTER

network interface -role cluster-mgmt   

and

network interface -role node-mgmt   

These aren't working from either the cluster level or individual node

but here's command #3

SEIMTEXTER_0-1613596568797.png

jcolonfzenpr

Sorry my mistake:

network interface show -role cluster-mgmt

network interface show -role node-mgmt

or simply 

network interface show

SEIMTEXTER

here we go.

SEIMTEXTER_0-1613598063176.png

I just noticed the e0a reporting a "false" status under the isHome column, so i've just reverted it.  interface still down though. 

jcolonfzenpr

The operational status of the interface is DOWN maybe someone move the cluster_mgmt home-port out of the e0M ports?

can you provide output for:

network interface show -fields lif,role,broadcast-domain,failover-group,home-node,home-port,curr-node,curr-port -role cluster-mgmt,node-mgmt

Example:

1. The following command displays the cluster-management LIF:
    cluster1::> network interface show -role cluster-mgmt

Logical           Status     Network            Current       Current Is
    Vserver     Interface         Admin/Oper Address/Mask       Node          Port    Home
    ----------- ----------        ---------- ------------------ ------------- ------- ----
    cluster1    cluster_mgmt      up/up      192.0.2.60/24      cluster1-2    e0M     true
    The following command displays the node-management LIFs:
    cluster1::> network interface show -role node-mgmt

Logical           Status     Network            Current       Current Is
    Vserver     Interface         Admin/Oper Address/Mask       Node          Port    Home
    ----------- ----------        ---------- ------------------ ------------  ------  ------ 
    cluster1    cluster1-1_mgmt1  up/up      192.0.2.69/24      cluster1-1    e0M     true
                cluster1-2_mgmt1  up/up      192.0.2.70/24      cluster1-2    e0M     true

SEIMTEXTER

SEIMTEXTER_0-1613660662673.png

SEIMTEXTER

Ok, so just now I was able to ping and add the cluster mgmt IP to oncommand system manager, but there was an error stating that the cluster mgmt port was not "home", so I reverted it, and now it's not pinging anymore.   Incredible.  Idk what to do now lol

jcolonfzenpr

Can you validate if you can ping both node_mgmt ip?

ping 192.168.15.41

ping 192.168.15.43

also check the configuration on the switch side make sure both ports are on the same vlan or Layer2 broadcast domain.

Good luck!

SEIMTEXTER

Thank you.  Yep I can ping .41 and .43 just fine.  250 comes and goes though.  It was pinging today while IsHome was false, but the moment I reverted it, it went down again. The switch is just a little 5-port workgroup gigabit switch for this test environment.  All I have on it are e0M and e0a of each controller, plus a laptop set to 192.168.15.100

Is there a good guide to cdot / ontap 9 networking that I should read to understand why this is happening?

jcolonfzenpr
Network Management Guide for ONTAP 9.7 and Earlier:

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/topic/com.netapp.doc.dot-cm-nmg/home.html

It was pinging today while IsHome was false, but the moment I reverted it, it went down again <+++ weird behavior

1. check for duplicate address

2. try to change the IP to other than .250

3. try to reboot the switch

4. try to reboot the laptop

Good luck!

SEIMTEXTER

turns out that a0a on just node -01 was set to .250, so i changed the cluster_mgmt ip to .249 and it came right up.  now to figure out how to change a0a's IP.  ifconfig wouldn't let me do it at the time, but it might now that i changed the management IP.  a0a is a LIF made up of e0c and e0d which will be used for data traffic, not sure whether it should be in the same subnet as management.  Oh well, we're up and running for now.

Thanks all,

Public