OpenStack Discussions

Cinder Volume - Expand - NetApp

protocult

Apologies , I'm a noob to openstack I have  a couple of questions , tried looking through the forums , couldn't find an answer .

My Cinder volume (NFS export on the NetApp array cdot 8.2.3) is filling up ,

• If I expand the volume will the openstack folks have to detach and reattach the volume ?
  • Will there be any downtime during the detach until its reattached ?
  • I've read that resizing the volume will require a detach in one of the openstack docs

Also could you please suggest a good document to start understanding how openstack works and how it handles storage.

Appreciate all your support .

Sorry I'm not aware of the OpenStack version the team's running

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ajeffrey

No you can expand an NFS export on the fly and the nfs client will immediately see the additional space.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rcallawa

@protocult wrote:

Apologies , I'm a noob to openstack I have  a couple of questions , tried looking through the forums , couldn't find an answer .

My Cinder volume (NFS export on the NetApp array cdot 8.2.3) is filling up ,

• If I expand the volume will the openstack folks have to detach and reattach the volume ?
  • Will there be any downtime during the detach until its reattached ?
  • I've read that resizing the volume will require a detach in one of the openstack docs

Also could you please suggest a good document to start understanding how openstack works and how it handles storage.

Appreciate all your support .

Sorry I'm not aware of the OpenStack version the team's running

thanks

Are you referring to expanding a single Cinder volume, or the FlexVol volume on the cdot controller that contains many Cinder volumes?

WRT to documentation, the best place to start is http://netapp.github.io/openstack-deploy-ops-guide/ .

protocult

I'm expanding the flexvol volume on the controller , once expanded do they have remount the share at the openstack end ?

ajeffrey

No you can expand an NFS export on the fly and the nfs client will immediately see the additional space.

Public