OpenStack Discussions

Is Flexclone license a requirement for cDOT 8.2 direct NFS driver and Havana?

parrizas

Hi,

Is it still possible to use the NFS direct driver without the Flexclone license in such configuration?

As far as I know the flexclone license is only required for snapshots and rapid cloning, and these two use sis clone under the covers. I though sis-cloning did not require the flexclone license in latest cDOT versions...

Would it be possible to still use the driver without the flexclone functionality??

Thanks!,

Alfonso

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

esker

Hi Alfonso,

It's definitely still the case that sis clone is unlocked with the FlexClone license.  In versions of our Data ONTAP based Cinder drivers to present we haven't explicitly performed a startup check to prevent usage if FlexClone isn't licensed, but we also haven't targeted use cases where cloning and snapshotting wouldn't be employed.  Both seem fundamental to basic operation for the majority of use cases.  I'd definitely be open to discussing this directly if you believe we're overlooking something.

Thanks!

Rob Esker

Sr. Product Manager - OpenStack

esker@netapp.com

NetApp, Inc.

@openstacknetapp

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

esker

Hi Alfonso,

It's definitely still the case that sis clone is unlocked with the FlexClone license.  In versions of our Data ONTAP based Cinder drivers to present we haven't explicitly performed a startup check to prevent usage if FlexClone isn't licensed, but we also haven't targeted use cases where cloning and snapshotting wouldn't be employed.  Both seem fundamental to basic operation for the majority of use cases.  I'd definitely be open to discussing this directly if you believe we're overlooking something.

Thanks!

Rob Esker

Sr. Product Manager - OpenStack

esker@netapp.com

NetApp, Inc.

@openstacknetapp

Public