Simulator Discussions

ESX version licenses for both nodes

vserverdr

Hello to All,

I installed a SIM 9.5P6 2 node cluster -ESX version and once setup completed added some licenses to the cluster, but with this version only shows the second node as licensed and shows the node 1 as not licensed.

For the VMWARE Player version, Netapp provides licenses for both nodes and I get both nodes licensed.

Is this is a bug or know issue?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanHatfield

Whats going on here is you've configured the serial numbers pre-boot, but you used one serial number that you have keys for (4034389062), and one serial number that you don't have keys for (4034389061).  Reboot test2-01 (4034389061) and change its SYS_SERIAL_NUM to 4082368511, do not change its sysid, and then boot_ontap.  When it comes back online it will claim the licenses for 4082368511.  

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Ontapforrum

I doubt it's a bug b'cos ONTAP Simulator always provides 2nd Node licenses for both non-esx (vmplayer,vmware workstaion etc.) and esx build.

In the licenses.txt file, there is a separate license for ESX and non-esx build and then there is a common licenses which could be used for both esx or non-esx 2 node simulator cluster.

This is the section I am refering to:

Licenses for the second node in a cluster (Serial Number 4034389062)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use these licenses with the second simulator in a cluster (either the ESX or non-ESX build).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you please confirm if you added both set of licenses to the cluster, i.e one given in the esx section and one from non-esx build section?

vserverdr

Hello,

Thanks for takijg the time to reply

I have checked the file and does indeed contains a set of licenses for the ESX Build -in my case 9.5P6 - (Serial Number 4082368511), after I applied them only one node shows its licensed.

If I apply any of the other node 1 or 2 license for the non-ESX build, they install but does not recognize the license for any of the nodes, that is where my problem resides as I only have licenses for one of the node for the ESX build cluster, am I missing something here?

I also notice that the change the SYS_SERIAL_NUM/bootarg.nvram.sysid to something new, it not longer the one from the pdf file.

Ontapforrum

Interesting,  could you give us the output of this command:

::> system node show -fields serialnumber

In the file CMode_licenses_9.5.P6.txt

There is section:

Licenses for the second node in a cluster (Serial Number 403438xxxx)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Use these licenses with the second simulator in a cluster (either the ESX or non-ESX build).

1st Node: 4082368511
2nd Node: 403438xxxx

vserverdr

syste node show -fields serialnumber
(system node show)
node serialnumber
----------------- ------------
XXXXXXX-01 4082368-51-1
XXXXXXX-02 4082368-51-2
2 entries were displayed.

this is the new serial that comes with the simulators now on 9.5P6. I discovered this when setting up the second node once deployed the cluster would show different serial numbers compared. I had to re-deply second node and correct the SNO according to the first node to make it work.

from the license text file, I had to use thjis ones -
Licenses for the ESX build (Serial Number 4082368511)- but licenses 1 node, the other two are supposed to be for non-ESX buils for the provide licenses for 2 nodes.

Licenses for the non-ESX build (Serial Number 4082368507)

Licenses for the second node in a cluster (Serial Number 4034389062)

Ontapforrum

Thanks for the update. I hope I am following you correctly.

Is the licensing for the 2nd node sorted ? Or is  it still showing only one node licensed ?

If not, then could you try changing the 2nd Node serial number to - 4034389062 ?

vserverdr

No, still same problem.

I could try to get another 2 VMs and change the sys number before I start even with the first node to (40343890621/4034389062 ) as I can see that is going to give me the same result if I dont change both numbers  on both nodes.

I have built simulators with VMWARE player and never had that problem because I always use the node1/node 2 respectively and use the vmware player version.

Having notice for a while that the ESX version only provides one set of licenses, I always thought those would be for both nodes and not only one.

vserverdr
I spin up another 2 SIM 9.5P6 and before even starting I modified the serial number ansd sysid on the node 1 and after on node 2 to the ones from the manual pdf and added the 3 CIFS licenses, one (and only ) from the ESX 2 from the vmplayer listr node1 & 2. Still same problem, look at the pics and the lic1 picture shows 4 licenses 2 showing cluster none, those are from the list of vmplayer, test2-01 showing licensed but test2-02 shows no licensed. lic2 picture shows the same licenses on the details tab, I added the included base license from the txt file and after that still same problem but just cluster base license different and still no node 2 licensed for CIFS.

Ontapforrum

I am perplexed. Ideally it should work as mentioned in the pdf.

I also noticed, there is no esx version for Simulator 9.6, so you have to either switch to vmware(non-esx) player version or attempt 9.4, again the steps are the same.  Forum is the only support available for simulator related issues, so I am just hoping if someone else had experienced the same issue or have any clue they can chip in here to help you futher.

SeanHatfield

Whats going on here is you've configured the serial numbers pre-boot, but you used one serial number that you have keys for (4034389062), and one serial number that you don't have keys for (4034389061).  Reboot test2-01 (4034389061) and change its SYS_SERIAL_NUM to 4082368511, do not change its sysid, and then boot_ontap.  When it comes back online it will claim the licenses for 4082368511.  

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

vserverdr

Thanks for the advice , fixing the SNO did the trick

Public