Simulator Discussions

Install Simulator 8.3.1

rpshan

Hi All,

Good Day, I am trying to install NetApp Simulator 8.3.1, unable to complete the install.

Running on VirtualBox 5.0.40

Total Memory 8.GB

Disk Space 43GB +

Getting error attached the image and what's the config on virtual box also attached.

I tried following some of the links below which is already been worked, but I am getting errors all time.

http://community.netapp.com/t5/Simulator-Discussions/Simulate-ONTAP-8-3-1-with-mounting-cfcard-and-panic/td-p/117658

Please help, Thanks in Adv.

Thanks

rpshan

2 REPLIES 2

AlexDawson

Hi there, 

The simulator is only intended for use under VMWare, so some customisations are needed. Please have a look at this post and let me know if it helps - http://community.netapp.com/t5/Simulator-Discussions/9-1-and-9-2-simulator-hangs-at-boot-loader-in-virtualbox/td-p/134518

SeanHatfield

I experiment with vsim on vbox from time to time.  I wrote a function to convert the VMware version to vbox as part of a larger project, which won't work out of context but here's the gist of it.  Check these settings against your config and see what is missing.  I can see from your screenshot you have the disks in the right order, but are missing 3 nics.  I also don't see the serial ports.  Some of the other settings aren't apparent from your screenshot.  Check the IDE device type, and the settings at the top of this psuedocode.

#Make it from scratch
vboxmanage createvm --name "$name" --basefolder "$SIMDIR" --ostype "FreeBSD_64" --register
vboxmanage modifyvm "$name" --ioapic on 
vboxmanage modifyvm "$name" --vram 16
vboxmanage modifyvm "$name" --cpus 2
vboxmanage modifyvm "$name" --memory 6144

#Make 4 nics on the natnetwork
vboxmanage modifyvm "$name" --nic1 natnetwork --nictype1 82545EM --cableconnected1 on
vboxmanage modifyvm "$name" --nic2 natnetwork --nictype2 82545EM --cableconnected2 on
vboxmanage modifyvm "$name" --nic3 natnetwork --nictype3 82545EM --cableconnected3 on
vboxmanage modifyvm "$name" --nic4 natnetwork --nictype4 82545EM --cableconnected4 on

#If these are missing it can get stuck
vboxmanage modifyvm "$name" --uart1 0x3F8 4
vboxmanage modifyvm "$name" --uart2 0x2F8 3

#A blank floppy image keeps disk enumeration as expected
vboxmanage storagectl "$name" --name floppy --add floppy --controller I82078 --portcount 1 
vboxmanage storageattach "$name" --storagectl floppy --device 0 --medium emptydrive

#Connect disks
vboxmanage storagectl "$name" --name IDE    --add ide    --controller PIIX4  --portcount 2
vboxmanage storageattach "$name" --storagectl IDE --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium "$SIMDIR/$name/$_ide00"
vboxmanage storageattach "$name" --storagectl IDE --port 0 --device 1 --type hdd --medium "$SIMDIR/$name/$_ide01"
vboxmanage storageattach "$name" --storagectl IDE --port 1 --device 0 --type hdd --medium "$SIMDIR/$name/$_ide10"
vboxmanage storageattach "$name" --storagectl IDE --port 1 --device 1 --type hdd --medium "$SIMDIR/$name/$_ide11"

Also, disable VMware tools in the loader.  It will fail to start anyway, but no reason to let it try.

setenv bootarg.vm.run_vmtools "false"
If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public