Simulator Discussions

Upgrade 9.12.1 to 9.13.1RC1

winkel

I have been trying to update 9.12 to 9.13RC1 but I continue to have problems trying to get the image downloaded to the sim. The ONTAP sim panics.  Is it possible to update 9.12 Sim to 9.13 by following normal upgrade instructions?

13 REPLIES 13

Ontapforrum

What is the available space on vol0, when you run ::> volume show. I think ONTAP 9.13.RC1 is about 2.69GB, so please make sure there is enough space on the vol0, to accommodate this image. If need be, add capacity (using spare simulated disks) to the root aggregate.

1) Add capacity to root aggregate

2) Expand the vol0

3) Download the image.

Ontapforrum

Just FYI:  I upgraded my simulator to 9.13.1.RC1, successfully. I just made sure that the vol0 had 5g free space, before the upgrade.

winkel

So I was able to get the image uploaded, I had been trying to use system manager but it would panic the sim. I just went to the old image update command from the cluster shell and it worked. However now on initial boot it never makes it past POST. Is there something I need to change to get the SIM to boot? Using VMware workstation 17 on Windows 11. 

winkel

So I was able to get the image uploaded, I had been trying to use system manager but it would panic the sim. I just went to the old image update command from the cluster shell and it worked. However now on initial boot it never makes it past POST. Is there something I need to change to get the SIM to boot?

Ontapforrum

What is the RAM of the Simulator ? I have set it to 8GB, it works for me. Also, before running the upgrade did you manage to take a VMware snapshot, it helps to quickly revert back and start all over again. Also, upgrading Simulators via GUI is not recommended.

winkel

I had upgraded the memory to over 8GB initially as I thought that may be the issue but unfortunately wasn't. Thanks for the guidance on not using Web GUI for upgrade. For now I am going to use LoD for customer demo but will try and come back to this and figure it out as I need to get it working with all my Oracle VMs. Thanks for the reply.

Ontapforrum

No worries. As an advise, always good to keep minimum 8GB memory, but even more important is the 'vol0' space. Before the upgrade, I always make sure  the 'vol0' shows 5GB in available space. Finally, make sure you have taken a snapshot before you begin the system image update, so that even if it breaks during the upgrade, you can start from the last step, instead of building the simulator from scratch.

winkel

I am a bit at wits end after 10 attempts at this. Update complete successfully, system boots with 9.13 image, but upon subsequent shutdown it always hangs on boot. I have dropped into the loader and performed a boot_backup and it still hangs.  I even transferred the VM to my ESX cluster in our RTP lab and it still hangs, so it doesn't appear to be a VMware workstation issue. If anyone would be willing to jump on a zoom with me and help me resolve there is a $50 Amazon gift card as a thank you. Really need this Sim up and running for my Oracle CG testing.

Ontapforrum

I get your frustration but I am bit perplexed, it's never that struggle to get the Simulator upgraded, have done it many times, and have run oracle,mysql, in the past. I remember you mentioned you had upgraded 8GB memory, but have you ensured vol0 space availability?

Memory:8GB
Processor:2,

Number of core per-process:2
Vol0: >=2.5GB minimum space post upgrade, before upgrade around 5GB (More the better)

Also, Simulate ONTAP is only supported on following VMware apps:
• VMware Workstation Pro
• VMware Workstation Player
• VMware Fusion

winkel

Is there any way you can connect with me internal at NetApp over Teams. I really need to get this working. I also tried with GA release of 9.13. I am using Workstations Pro 17. I verified 6GB of free space in Vol0. After the upgrade it boots into 9.13 and reconfigures boot variables. At that point it is up and running 9.13. It is the subsequent boot where it hangs even before boot loader.   Do you know if there will be a bundled 9.13.1 SIM version released soon?

Ontapforrum

Simulate ONTAP 9.13.1 is available now:
https://mysupport.netapp.com/site/tools/tool-eula/simulate-ontap/download

For the upgraded version of 9.13.1 Simulator, my only advise/workaround would be to : "Don't let it go for subsequent boot (without a snapshot)", what I am trying to say is, take a VMware snapshot when the simulator is up (fully booted @9.13.1) and you are able to login to cluster shell. From there on, whatever addition/modification/changes such as adding license, creating SVM, provisiong nfs, cifs or iscsi, make sure you 'take a VMware snapshot', so that for whatever reason you loose power to your laptop/desktop, or it fails to boot up again, you can simply 'restore it back to the working configuration' and then again carry on from there.

winkel

The 9.13.1 OVA suffers the same problem. When I deploy it, without even configuring the cluster, if I reboot it , it hangs on startup at the same place.  I am running Windows 11 and VMware workstation 17.  As I mentioned I don't have the same problem with any previous version of SIM.  Just crazy.

winkel

On a separate note, I deployed the 9.11 OVA and performed an upgrade with the 9.13 image and am up and running fine with two separate installs. Not sure why the update from 9.12 does not work, as well as the straight 9.13.1x37 install of the OVA. 

Public