Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

How to fetch CPU Busy percentage using perf-object-get-instances

rohancmr

I am using perf-object-get-instances to fetch CPU busy percentage with object : system, instance : system and counter : cpu_busy. However, the returned value is 11 digit number.
How do I convert this to percentage ?

Is there any other way to fetch this information ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

asulliva

Hello @rohancmr,

In order to get the value you want you need the counter itself (cpu_busy) and the base counter (which I believe is processor_elapsed_time).  You would then need to read the values at two different points in time and do some math...

# where t1 = first reading and t2 = second reading...
((t2.cpu_busy - t1.cpu_busy) / (t2.processor_elapsed_time - t1.processor_elapsed_time)) * 100 = % CPU busy during that time span

The base counter, if one is used, is returned back when you query the perf-object-counter-list-info API.

In general there are several different types of counters you'll find...

• raw: single counter value is used
  • delta: change in counter value between two samples is used
  • rate: delta divided by the time in seconds between samples is used
  • average: delta divided by the delta of a base counter is used
  • percent: 100*average is used

More information can be found in the ZAPI docs, under the cluster -> perf category.  I also wrote an introduction, using PowerShell, here.

Hope that helps!

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

asulliva

Hello @rohancmr,

In order to get the value you want you need the counter itself (cpu_busy) and the base counter (which I believe is processor_elapsed_time).  You would then need to read the values at two different points in time and do some math...

# where t1 = first reading and t2 = second reading...
((t2.cpu_busy - t1.cpu_busy) / (t2.processor_elapsed_time - t1.processor_elapsed_time)) * 100 = % CPU busy during that time span

The base counter, if one is used, is returned back when you query the perf-object-counter-list-info API.

In general there are several different types of counters you'll find...

• raw: single counter value is used
  • delta: change in counter value between two samples is used
  • rate: delta divided by the time in seconds between samples is used
  • average: delta divided by the delta of a base counter is used
  • percent: 100*average is used

More information can be found in the ZAPI docs, under the cluster -> perf category.  I also wrote an introduction, using PowerShell, here.

Hope that helps!

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

rohancmr

It worked. Thanks for help.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public