Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

NMSDK file permissions

VIJAYPOTHIREDDY

i have a  UNIX Qtree and i have some files under the Qtree. How do i change permission of the files using NMSDK ? , i don't see any API to change file permission on the filer.

thanks,

Vijay

1 REPLY 1

longariva

I have a very similar problem while setting UNIX-style permissions via NMSDK on a regular directory/file.

Recently I contacted NetApp support about the issue and they referred me to the community.

So here I am 😉

This is an excerpt from my original support request:

In order to automatically manage home directory creation, access rights setting and cleanup of obsolete homes, we use our IdM system to remotely control the filer via the NMSDK.

For a volume with UNIX file permissions it is not possible to set set owner/group for a given file/directory on the filer using the NMSDK (Java bindings).

Also it is not possible to update the UNIX permission bits after file/directory creation.

At the moment it is only possible to set UNIX permission bits on directory creation using the com.netapp.nmsdk.ontap.api.file.FileCreateDirectoryRequest.withPerm() method.

This - however - is not enough because the possibility to also set and/or update user and group is missing.

Using com.netapp.nmsdk.ontap.api.filedirectorysecurity.FileDirectorySecuritySetRequest it is only possible to set a NTFS style SecurityDescriptor which is not possible on a UNIX-style volume.

Because UNIX-style permissions are rather simple compared with Windows ACLs I would propose to implement the methods "withPerm()" , "withUidNumber()" and "withGidNumber()" directly within the FileDirectorySecuritySetRequest Class in order to allow simple UNIX-style security updates.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public