Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

SDK Calls per minute

Craig_Mac

Hi, 

I am working with a 3rd party software company that is gpoing to use SDK to access our NFS and CIFS file systems to anaylse volumes, folders and files.

Can anyone advise what the maximum calls per minute would be for an application using SDK from a 3rd party server?

Connection to the NAS will be via fPolicy, over a 10GbE connection.

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

Hi

yeh. 300 a min sounds pretty low...

again. don't know about the exact query. i wonder if they can specify multiple files or a wiledcard in their request.

also - you said 10GB interface. but what the latency between the server to the filer? you want them to be very close if such limitation exists. it will likely allow to close the session faster. if the solution need to streach across sites. they might need to put local collectors near the filer (my current Fpolicy solution actually mandate it)

last thing. are they already open multiple sessions?  you can maybe allow more ONTAPI sessions with the CLI command "security session limit"...

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GidonMarcus

Hi

if they are using fpolicy that is a pretty robust API by design. and used by many vendors.

i never saw a global limit. and i guess the process of each different API request can take different time and process resources.

if they concerned about specific API call and rate maybe it worth asking on this one specifically and one of the developer can share with his experience, or it can be found in one of the open source project and seen hot it's implemented there

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

GidonMarcus

the following article may help them a bit more (not sure what part of the API they tryeng to work with, but this is the part where client might see issues on)

https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1030794/loc/en_US

Craig_Mac
Gidi, Thank you for your reply. Our data set is very large (1PB) and whilst looking into API-S we found that there was a limit of 300 calls per minute. We are looking at leveraging both Sync and A-Sync fpolicy but the scope of our use cases covers a lot of than just the calls we see in fPolicy. The performance concern is really around the ability to scan all the data in a reasonable amount of time. Thank you Craig

GidonMarcus

Hi

yeh. 300 a min sounds pretty low...

again. don't know about the exact query. i wonder if they can specify multiple files or a wiledcard in their request.

also - you said 10GB interface. but what the latency between the server to the filer? you want them to be very close if such limitation exists. it will likely allow to close the session faster. if the solution need to streach across sites. they might need to put local collectors near the filer (my current Fpolicy solution actually mandate it)

last thing. are they already open multiple sessions?  you can maybe allow more ONTAPI sessions with the CLI command "security session limit"...

Gidi

Craig_Mac

Thank you very much for your feedback Gidi.

Very helpful.

Public