We want to hear your feedback! We would love to consolidate everything centrally here in this thread, but if you have something that you don't want to say in the communities, you can always send VSC feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I've found a couple of things also, and here are some workarounds to try.
If you're failing to register the VASA Provider within the VSC configuration menu:
1) Check to insure all networking info is configured in the VP. I ran into an issue where I didn't enter DNS settings and even though they were on the same local subnet and VSC & VP could ping each other, it was still failing to register.
2) Try triggering a manual storage discovery in the storage controllers tab of VSC. Wait a few mins and try again.
3) On first boot, you have to have VMtools installed on the VP for it to finish installation (this is an obvious one, but sometimes overlooked). Access the appliance console and it will walk you right through the steps nicely.
4) Make sure you've rebooted after the VMtools installation finishes.
i was getting this error while deploying VCENTER appliance ?
An error occurred while invoking external commands: 'ERROR: Return Value: 1, Stdout: , Stderr: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/bin/syshostname", line 72, in <module> raise ValueError("pnid %s specified is not valid" % pnid) ValueError: pnid pal.sap.corp specified is not valid '. my company domain is "pal.sap.corp" and i have specified this in global name ? did anyone got errror like this .
I haven't seen that specific error, but it sounds like one of two things:
1. DNS not correctly set up for the vCSA. The IP address must match the hostname you give it, and hostname and FQDN must resolve correctly to that IP from the workstation where you manage it all.
2. Parameters not entered correctly in the customize template screen when deploying the OVA.
How did you deploy the OVA? Using the new vSphere Host Client (which can directly deploy OVA/OVF to ESXi servers) or to a running instance of a previous version of vCenter? Previous versions of vCenter don't understand the newer OVA format. As a result, the customize template screen will ask for network information in two places, asking for slightly different things each time. You have to provide the same values for equivalent parameters, with the exception of netmask. In the upper section, it wants the number of bits (22 and 24 are common). In the lower section, it wants the actual mask (255.255.252.0 or 255.255.255.0 are common). And of course this all has to match the actual A record in the DNS server.
Reading the /bin/syshostname script, it looks like it wants FQDN and you passed just the domain name maybe in the Host Network Identity field in the first screenshot.
I have right DNS and all networks can reach via DNS .
I was using Vsphere new client (Vmware Host Client ) whcih was inside the pacakge of Beta Vcenter ISO. I have installed this client and connected ESX6.0 beta server, upon logging in what i notice that we have to 2 options deploying OVF . 1) Deploy OVF template 2) Deploy Vcenter Server Appliance.
I was using the 2nd option becuase this is VCENTER and get the error that reported earlier, however if i use Deploy OVF by selecting Vcenter OVA it was completed but when you power on it fails with "installation fails".
Can you provide which option should be used, also i am working on to build a windows 2008 R2 so that i can install the package of vcenter instead of apliacne. Keep you posted , meanwhile please let me know if you have any idea how to overcome the above errors.
Thanks, but i wasn't able to logon with email@example.com while i was doing vcenter appliance deployment phase, i have specified this name "vsphere.local" as my hostname "hostname.pal.sap.corp"? should i use as "firstname.lastname@example.org"?
can i see what username it was using in any configuration or installation file (i know this is appliance ..but we can get some history of deployment logs ?)
ok i found it from appliance log files that said with the following message, so i logged with user" Administrator@navolvc3.pal.sap.corp" and i was able to add all the things that were not working with user: root/.