VMware Solutions Discussions

LSI_SAS, Symmpi, atapi Event Viewer Logs in Windows Server VMs

sanman2304

Hello community,

I've had this burning question for some time as I notice these event viewer system log messages on VMs (newly created and converted from physical servers), but didn't know where to ask them at. So the NetApp Community is first, because I believe there are multiple people out there who have had the same thing. I've seen this at a couple of customers and even our own servers.

On Windows Servers (2003 and 2008) that have multiple disks, each sitting on a seperate NFS volume, but on the same array I will see the following event viewer system log messages:

Windows Server 2008 - Event Viewer ID: 129, Source: LSI_SAS, Description: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued

Windows Server 2003 - Event Viewer ID: 9, Source: atapi, Description: The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period

Windows Server 2003 - Event Viewer ID: 9, Source: symmpi, Description: The device, \Device\Scsi\symmpi1, did not respond within the timeout period

Now, when the disks are all sitting on the same NFS volume the log message goes away. And with servers that just have a disk for the OS and a disk for the page file the log message does not appear.

Does anyone have any insight into this?  Is there a NetApp setting for timeouts?  Are there VMware settings that I've missed for NFS mounted datastores?

Any insight would be great as this is bugging me.

1 REPLY 1

JGOUVERNAYRE

Hello Sanman2304,

I've got the same issue. Did you found a solution?

Thanks for your answer.

Julien

Public