VMware Solutions Discussions

SMVI 2 removal and installing Virtual Console 4

MUNGO23_NETAPP

We are about to start the process of upgrading our Vsphere 4.1 farm up to Vsphere 5. In our current setup with have SMVI 2 running. It seems that I need to uninstall SMVI 2.0 before I can install Virtual Storage Console 4.0. My question is regarding the process of removing SMVI, what will happen to the snapshots that SMVI has created? Will they be removed or left behind on the Netapp? Will VSC be aware of the snapshots created by SMVI?

If anyone has information around this, or can point to the relevant doco, that would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

From the VSC install.pdf page 13.  https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMM1279153 you can import the settings from SMVI into VSC and keep the setup.

After you finish

When you uninstall a previous version of SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure (SMVI) prior to

installing Virtual Storage Console, you have to save the backup metadata prior to migrating the

backup metadata by copying the contents installed in the C:\Program Files\NetApp\SMVI\server

\repository folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server\repository

folder.

After you finish copying the backup metadata, you must copy the contents of the credential file from

the C:\Program Files\NetApp\SMVI\server\etc\cred folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual

Storage Console\smvi\server\etc\cred folder.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

scottgelb

From the VSC install.pdf page 13.  https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMM1279153 you can import the settings from SMVI into VSC and keep the setup.

After you finish

When you uninstall a previous version of SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure (SMVI) prior to

installing Virtual Storage Console, you have to save the backup metadata prior to migrating the

backup metadata by copying the contents installed in the C:\Program Files\NetApp\SMVI\server

\repository folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server\repository

folder.

After you finish copying the backup metadata, you must copy the contents of the credential file from

the C:\Program Files\NetApp\SMVI\server\etc\cred folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual

Storage Console\smvi\server\etc\cred folder.

Public