VMware Solutions Discussions

SMVI for snapvault

tatlee

Hi All,

Can SMVI configure, manage and monitor the snapvault backup schedule/status? Is it a GUI or CLI? I checked the SMVI manual, it seems that it's not for snapvault backup. Also,  how it works as this SMVI manual is not very clear?

Regards,

Terrence

4 REPLIES 4

columbus_admin

SMVI will only manage its own backups, in this case local snaps only, it is unaware of other snapvault backups on the filer.  When you set it up, you have to specify the data store that you are backing up, and that is all it reports on.  To get snapvault functionality, you actually have to run a script as part of the post process to vault the snapshots.

SMVI actually logs into Virtual Center, quiesces the VM, then takes a snapshot.  At that point, the filer takes a snapshot of the file system.  This ensures the VM is in a consistent state when the filer snapshot occurs.  There are both GUI and CLI versions of SMVI available, but still is only useful with VMWare.

Honestly, I have a co-worker at a previous job who wrote a snapvault monitoring script that is better than DFM and SMVI.

tatlee

Thanks for the info. By the way, is it possible to provide that wondeful script?

Thanks a lot!

Terrence

columbus_admin

I'll see what I can do, my copy was corrupted somehow so I don't have a currently working one.

- Scott

amritad

Our scripting Guru MAtt Robinson has come out with a script to integrate SMVI/VSC and SnapVault. Please take a look.

http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-8720#comment-4167

REgards

Amrita

Public