VMware Solutions Discussions

VMware Swap File Autogrow FlexVol volumes

vincent_m

Hi Everybody,

I have a little question for you guys, how you configure the swap datastore for for your environment ?

I have 3 ESXi 4.1 Server with 48 Gb RAM per ESXi and I have configured the swap datastore with 150 Gb.

I have read in the Best Practice Netapp VMware that's we can configure a option "Autogrow FlexVol volumes"

do you use this option?

regards,

Vince

2 REPLIES 2

radek_kubka

Hi Vince and welcome to the Communities!

Autogrowing volumes is a part of a bigger picture of space management, so this is not necessarily specific to vShpere, swap files, etc.

The short answer is: your mileage may vary, as everyone has their own likes / dislikes re space management.

Volume autosize was mainly introduced to address the dilemma re volumes with LUNs & snapshots, where originally the best practice asked people to halve their usable capacity (simply speaking) to guarantee that LUNs will not go offline due to a lack of space in the volume.

There are different ways of achieving pretty much the same goal - e.g. my favourite of oversizing significantly all volumes, setting space guarantee to none (thin provisioning) & monitoring free space on the aggregate level only (not everyone likes this approach though).

Regards,

Radek

vincent_m

Okay !

So it's for you the good option like I have configured my datastore ?

Regards,

Vince

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public