VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC, Protection Manager and nightly SMVIs

MLINTON397677

Greetings all,

Preface: I am looking for input on managing SMVI backups.  Currently, I use the Virtual Storage Console plug in for VMware to schedule SMVI snapshots.  It works well and I cannot complain about the day to day operation of it.  However, everytime a VM gets relocated to a new datastore I have to go update the job.  If I don't, multiple jobs will take snapshots of the same volume and I have to go back and clean things up.  I have tried automating an update process without success.  I assign entries at the virtual object level, not the datastore.

Example:

Now, I have protection manager. I am considering making a policy that will just take snapshots of my volumes every night and keep them for 3 days or whatever the requierment is.  But, in this case I cannot schedule them to happen thoughout the night, they will happen all at once, am I right?

Our enviornment is 100% FC LUNs provisioned to an ESXi Cluster using VMFS3/5.  I am not using the option within the VSC to take a VMware snapshot, all SMVIs are crash consistant.

I'm very open to suggestions.   I hate wasting time cleaning up snapshots.

Mark

1 REPLY 1

Re: VSC, Protection Manager and nightly SMVIs

kletzly

Hello Mark

Firstly, ask your NetApp SE for more info and help. If you need me to relay the message, let me know who he/she is. 

I am NOT an SMVI smart guy. I had thought that VSC/SMVI knows about VM movement -- at least when DRS does so. But, certainly valid question  

I only have 1 site using SMVI. I do have a few sites using SnapCreator. Interestingly, one of these sites using Protection Manager + SC in a coordinated fashion. In fact NetApp PS was key to this deployment.

Well, just my 2 cents

2021 NetApp Partner Experience Survey
PES Banner
All Community Forums
Public