VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC support for vSphere 6.7U2

VirtualJoe

Which version of VSC will support vSphere 6.7 U2?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

konnerth

Hi,

We are doing full testing with 6.7U2 and targeting support with our next Unified Virtual Appliance release this summer (current plan is to call this release 9.6, in line with ONTAP).  This release also has a completely new HTML5 interface.

---Karl

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

konnerth

Hi Oli,

While on-box VASA Provider might work well with small storage arrays, the appliance approach works better for ONTAP scale-out clusters where volumes can move across them as needed.  We have customers using a single VP across 10 or more clusters as well.  There are other advantages (upgrade independently of ONTAP, no performance or availability impact on the storage OS, etc.).

---Karl

Oli71

@konnerth 

Thanks! Much appreciated! In the meantime, i would like to report another anoying  behavior of the appliance 🙂 In the case, you restart your VASA and vCenter is unavailable it request you to enter the URL/login again. I would be nice to propose an option to use the old one or enter a new one!

I do have extra questions, sorry I don't know if you are the right person for that 🙂 

- Why do you still use VMware from the ESXi ISO. VMware does recommend to use open-vmware-tools instead. There is an execelent session available from VMworld 2019 about it. 

- Do you consider to move PhotonOS maybe?

- What's the real impact of reseting the database? I am surprised there is no backup option for it.

- VASA 3.0 vVOL 2.0 certified soon? That missing replication fonctionnality does really cut down the opportunities to move to vVOLs

Regards,

Oli

CASSEAU33

Anyone know if any versions of VSC works with the SRM appliance? (non windows). Or if it best to stick with the windows version for purposes of  interoperability? Thanks.

konnerth

Hi,

We are working on plans to support the SRM Photon OS appliance with a future SRA release.

---Karl

Oli71

@konnerth 

Thanks!

What about non SRM setup with traditional Snapmirror? It seems also that all DirectSAN option while backuping with Veeam isn't supported/implemented with VVOLS. Is it limitation due the current state of VMware libraries?

Oli

konnerth

Hi,

Some quick answers.  I'll ask Engineering to look at the Tools - thanks!  We are working on plans to support the SRM Photon OS appliance, but haven't heard of plans to support Photon OS for the ONTAP virtual appliance.  The VASA Provider metadata is also stored in the FlexVol volumes, and there is a command to recover the database from that (vp dr_recoverdb).  Our VP 7.1 release is certified to the VVol 2.0 spec, but our VVol replication support is targeted to a release of SRM that supports VVols.

---Karl

konnerth

We just qualified 9.6 with SRM 8.2 this week and you should now find it listed.  We are working on VMware certification testing now.

---Karl

Public