VMware Solutions Discussions

VVOL Binding Process - Rhyme and Reason

echolaughmk

Hello, 

During some recent testing I am seeing varying results on when vvols are bound to the PE dpeending on how long the VM might have been accessed, if it is powered on or off, and during/after migrations. 

For example, if the VM sits there long enough and I run the "vvol listbind" command, it only shows me the vsphere-HA config vvols as illustrated in this post (http://community.netapp.com/t5/VMware-Solutions-Discussions/Duplicate-VVOL-bindings/m-p/110916#M8331)

However, even though the VM is running, there are no vvol binds associated with its vvols (config/memory/disk). When I power off the VM and power it back on, I now see more vvols bound, but some have the same duplicate entry and others have no duplicate - why?

vvol4.png

I can't find any information to decipher why this is happening or how to correlate. Please, if there is a document on this, send me the link and I will RTM....but as of now this is becoming very confusing and not indicative of producion-related usage so I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the subject. 

thanks!

Note - during a migration to a new host, it goes to 9 bound vvols and then back down to 4 vvols bound (only the vsphere-HA ones) when it is done.....

During Migration:

vvol5.png

After Migration:

vvol5.png

The question is why? What is expected to be seen when a runnig VM is using vvols (I expected to see them all bound) and what is the nature of how it binds/rebinds during migrations??

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public