VMware Solutions Discussions

Highlighted

Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere 7

Latest Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere only supports up to vSphere 6.7

For a while now VMWare went to vSphere version 7. What is the ETA for a new version of Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere and a NetApp NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI that supports vSphere 7 ?

In a demo pool I implemented a virtual storage console on a vSphere 7. The VASA (NetApp NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI 1.1.2) provider is installed on the ESXi hosts but showing as not being capable of hardware acceleration in the vSphere 7 client. The option to Rapid clone is not available. The virtual storage console is available and shows information inside the vSphere 7 client but there isn't much to do. It lost alot of functionality compared to vSphere 6.7 environment.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere 7

Hi,

The virtual appliance (VSC, VP and SRA) has supported vSphere 7 starting with 9.7P1 in April (now 9.7P2 is recommended).  VAAI 1.1.2 works with vSphere  7 as well.

VAAI is different from VASA (used for vVols).  There are several steps needed to make ONTAP VAAI work; please make sure you follow all the instructions in the VAAI document.

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMLP2573777/html/frameset.html

Rapid cloning was dropped from VSC in the transition to 7.X in 2017.  We have a simple PowerShell script that might be useful.  For VDI we recommend using desktop brokers.

---Karl

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for the update.I've followed this  and using NFSv3 procedure: https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMLP2573777/html/frameset.html

these commands have the same output as well:

~ # esxcfg-advcfg -s 1 /DataMover/HardwareAcceleratedInit
Value of HardwareAcceleratedInit is 1
~ #  esxcfg-advcfg -s 1 /DataMover/HardwareAcceleratedMove
Value of HardwareAcceleratedMove is 1

still hardware acceleration:  not supported.

when cloning an offline guest from an SSD aggregate / volume on a FAS8080EX it takes a long time to complete on vSphere version 7. Doing the same procedure on vShpere 6.7 it is done in an instant.

Since this is a test environment I will drop it now and continue with my work vSphere 6.7 

Highlighted

OK, if you've done all that I would work with NetApp Support.  NetApp Interop team tested VAAI 1.1.2 with ESXi 7.0 and it is supported.

---Karl

Highlighted

I managed to get acceleration working and instant clone is working again by giving the esxi hosts a 2'nd " Set recommended values" and a reboot.  Not sure why it wasn't working on the 1'st attempt.

In the mean time I read an article on NetApp that future vsc 8 will support rapid clones again.

Highlighted

I'm glad you got that working - congratulations!

I'm the product manager for our vSphere tools for ONTAP,  and I am not aware of any plans to support rapid cloning.  But we have been working on new SAN and NAS capabilities, some available now (NVMe/FC) and some coming soon!  Also a number of different initiatives with vVols, including FCD and Tanzu support.

---Karl

Highlighted

I've searched again through the pages but I can't find the post anymore mentioning the VCS 8.0

Cloud Volumes ONTAP
Review Banner
All Community Forums
Public