Last Monday I was at the customer site to install the new VSC 2.0.1.
Customer had SMVI previously but after the VMware migration to vSphere 4.1 I decided to upgrade to the latest versione of VSC.
On the primary site it works like a charm and the discovery worked very nice.
On the secondary site, instead, I spent 2 hours before understand why, like happened to you, I wasn't able to discover the 2 controllers even if I was able to connect to them from the same machine using the filerview and the telnet.
The solution was very simple...!
All the volumes were in restricted state.
So, now I know that in some way, at least a volume for each controller must be online to make the discover process works!
I hope this can help you.