VMware Solutions Discussions

iSCSI LUN vs RDM LUN inside guest OS

azhukovamt

Hi Everyone,

Can I use iSCSI LUNs inside guest VM with software MS iSCSI initiator and MPIO ?

We are going to virtualize our file server. Several LUNs are connected to the fileserver.

We have custom backup and snapmirror scripts via sdcli for each LUN. I wouldn't like to do any changes, because it works.

Is it officially supported ?

I see only RDM solutions in many TRs/articles. My main purpose is 'don't change anything and easy migrate to VM'.

Software initiator/MPIO is working fine for me and I don't see reason to go with RDM.

If I will connect a iSCSI LUN as RDM, can I reconnect that later to another server via MS iSCSI initiator ?

Cisco UCS

ESX 5.5, VSC 4.2.1

guest OS: Win 2012, HU 6.0.2, Snapdrive 7.0, MS iSCSI initiator and MPIO, two paths via two fabric interconnects

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

rwelshman

You can use iSCSI LUNs on a VMware guest - the MPIO might not work as before due to the virtualization of the network. But it should be ok, if you configure the VM with the same number of NICs / networks as the physical.

I'm not sure if you can easily switch between RDMs and iSCSI connectivity - probably simpliar to just stick with using iSCSI.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

Public