VMware Solutions Discussions

iSCSI scan issues in ESX3.5 with Netapp FAS2020

csh

Our ESX3.5 scan iscsi devices and can't find any target.
vmkping is ok.
There is only a repeat error "May  7 00:46:58 ESX2 vmkiscsid[9656]: Connection to Discovery Address 192.168.10.3 failed
" and no other information in esx3.5 /var/log/messages.
The iscsi target has been found successfully by esxi3.5.
Reboot have done but the problem still.
I have allow all incoming and outgoing traffic in esx3.5 firewall.
Any ideas? tks.

2 REPLIES 2

aarondelp

What is the configuration of your virtual switche(s) on the ESX 3.5 server?

Since you can vmkping, I assume you have a vmkernel port.  On the same virtual switch with the vmkernel port, you will need a service console port for iSCSI.  This is how the ESX box establishes communication with the NetApp filer.  If your vmkernel port is on a different virtual switch than your service concole (best practice), then you will need a second one.

Something like this (this is all from memory so it should be close):

First Virtual Switch:

Service Console Port with an IP address (for example 10.10.10.1)

Second Vrtual Swtich:

VMKernel Port on iSCSI network (10.10.20.1)

Service Console #2 (10.10.20.2)

The second service console isn't needed for NFS on ESX 3.5, just iSCSI.  With vSphere, I have heard it isn't needed anymore but I haven't tested it.

amiller_1

As well, make sure that both the "storage" service console IP # and the "storage" vmkernel IP # can connect on a network level to the NetApp (the service console does the initial iSCSI session authentication/creation while all the storage traffic then goes over the vmkernel).

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public