AFF

Changing permissions on file share

NetApp93

Hello All,

Recently had a NetApp Engineer come and perform professional services for us by configuring/installing a NetApp AFF-A150 on our domain as a file share. I thought we had the share all figured out prior to him leaving, but I am now running into some issues when I am trying to change both the security permissions at the top level share and also to all subsequent folders. 

In the System Manager GUI, I was able to add users and groups with full control, and it appears the NetApp found the objects successfully in our AD, as I misspelled one of them causing it to not take  the object, and upon fixing the name it took it. Back on the share,  I manually added these same users/groups under the security tab for the share properties window, and it was able to replicate those permissions to all files/folders in the share but the permission for those users/groups is set to Read & Execute, List folder contents, and Read only. When I try to change any of them to full control, it errors out saying "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied". 

Any ideas on what to try next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NetApp93

I did end up contacting support, fortunately I still have all of our data on our old share, so the easiest thing for me to do ended up being blowing away the share and then the volume that share sat on. Then recreated both and careful edited permissions this time. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NetApp93

I believe I may have figured out the problem but I am in need of a solution. I had the permissions of the file share in full control of one group that my user account is apart of. I realized this morning that I needed to take that group out, and add a few others. I added the others, but before I gave them full control in the file explorer I deleted the initial group that had Full Control. Now it would seem the reason behind this is because there is no group with more control than read/execute permissions. I added the new accounts for share permissions in the GUI to have Full Control, but a "cluster::*> vserver security file-directory show -vserver svm1 -path /files -expand-mask true" command showed that the groups/user objects all did indeed still have only read/execute permissions. 

Right now I feel like i probably bricked the share as there is no way to give anyone Full Control permissions. Does anyone know of a way to fix the permissions, or do i need to blow this share away and create another? If I did have to go the latter route, how do i safely do that?

andris

I'd recommend you formally engage with NetApp Support (open a case).

NetApp93

I did end up contacting support, fortunately I still have all of our data on our old share, so the easiest thing for me to do ended up being blowing away the share and then the volume that share sat on. Then recreated both and careful edited permissions this time. 

Public