Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Host service can not mount backup snapshot from remote site

JAROSLAWZAKRZEWSKI

Welcome,

In OnCommand Console I created policy and dataset which use storage services to mirror backups on the other filer. With backups everything go ok - they are visible on both sides: locally and remote. Problem is when I want to mount backup snapshots. Mounting snapshot from local proceeds well. Mounting backup snapshots from remote site ends with errors:

Mounting backup 52 of the dataset test (905) on the host 192.168.100.240 (403).

Setting preferLunClone=true since some of the secondary qtrees required for the backupmount operation are present in the base Snapshot copy of a backup relationship.

Starting backup mount operation on Host service 'onComand.xxx.xxx(327) for the dataset 905.

Operation ID 'MountBackup_9fdde536-00b8-4f46-8c88-1d73a1e6e0f6_2013-07-24_1454' returned from hostservice 'onComand.xxx.xxx'(327) for backup mount.

OnCommandHSVMware: hsMount1 62c8f00b43202d8431ef3877e0d22db3: Starting mount request

OnCommandHSVMware: hsMount1 62c8f00b43202d8431ef3877e0d22db3: Storage system error: Cannot create LUN on a read-only volume or qtree

OnCommandHSVMware: hsMount1 62c8f00b43202d8431ef3877e0d22db3: FLOW-11019: Failure in NaStorageCloneActionWrapper: Cannot create LUN on a read-only volume or qtree (errno=9108)

OnCommandHSVMware: hsMount1 62c8f00b43202d8431ef3877e0d22db3: FLOW-11010: Operation transitioning to abort due to prior failure.

OnCommandHSVMware: hsMount1 62c8f00b43202d8431ef3877e0d22db3: FLOW-11011: Operation aborted

Source volume : vsimA:/vol_2_240 (created manually, LUN resides directly without qtrees)

Destination volume: vsimB:/vol_2_240_3 (created and snapmirrored by storage services)

Software is up to date.

10 REPLIES 10

kryan

Given the LUN error messages it seems that you are using LUNs. 

If you were using NFS, there are two help topics available that might assist you in this restore task. 

They can be found under "Managing virtual inventory" -> "Mounting and unmounting backups in a VMware environment".

1. Setting the preferred network interface

2. Mounting backups on remote VMware ESX server (7-Mode only)

1) If you take a new on-demand backup and transfer it to secondary are you able to restore from the older backup that already failed to restore?

2) Which versions of UM, ONTAP, and Host Package are you running?

JAROSLAWZAKRZEWSKI

Hi kryan

kryan wrote:

1) If you take a new on-demand backup and transfer it to secondary are you able to restore from the older backup that already failed to restore?

I use iSCSI. I take backup on demand and I am able to mount from secondary older backups. The most recent one I can restore only when I broke snapmirror relantionship. Then Host Service mount snapshot as a LUN (like lun clone command - in that same volume). Older backups are mount beyond volume (like vol clone command which is supported with FlexClone license)

2) Which versions of UM, ONTAP, and Host Package are you running?

Both filers are simulators with DOT 8.1.3 (with FlexClone license)

Unified Manager - 5.2

Host Service - 1.3.0.1537

VMware plug-in for Host Service - 1.1.0.0

martin_fisher

Hi Jaroslaw - have you checked the igroup settings and LUN mapping for the ISCSI iqn's on the destination sim?

You should be able to map the LUN and access it as read only. The ONcommand error above looks as though its trying to create a LUN clone, which I would expect to fail if the volume is snapmirrored as its read only.

JAROSLAWZAKRZEWSKI

Hi Martin,

igroup, iscsi initiator, and copy of LUN are automatically done by DFM (which is invoked by Host Service). But igroup are defined after LUN becomes available. You get the point which I wrote in previous message: "why for last backup DFM is trying to make "lun copy" instated of "vol copy" like for rest of snapshots". lun copy of course fails because it is called on destination volume which is snapmirrored thus read-only. DFM should use vol copy or automatically break snapmirror relationship and resync after unmounting.

martin_fisher

It does seem strange that DFM is trying to make a LUN clone. Probably worth having a look a the DFM release notes maybe. I have always mounted the snaps manually at DR with no issues.

kryan

The behavior you describe sounds like SDW bug 461675 (SDW is bundled and used for these tasks) however it should be fixed in HP 1.3 based on what I have read.

I recommend that you open a support case with the following data attached:

1) DFMDC

2) ONTAPWindDC on the HP server for the host service logs

Also ensure you have issued Autosupports from the controllers covering the failure window

Once opened, please post the case #.

JAROSLAWZAKRZEWSKI

Kryan,

Where I can find webpage with this bug? I searched on now.netapp.com without success.

kryan

There is no public report for this bug, so you will not find the information.

JAROSLAWZAKRZEWSKI

OK,

Thanks everyone for help.

martin_fisher

Funnily enough that was going to be my next suggestion!

Public