Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How to get rid of "cifs-session-get-iter" from harvst.

ShuheiEndo

Hello,

We are using harvest to get performance on cDOT 8.2 and 8.3.

Now we found a bug burt969339.(http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=969339)
So we want to stop executing "cifs-session-get-iter" from harvst. (we want to continue to use others)

Which part of code shuold we modify?

Regards,
Shuhei

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

madden

Hi @ShuheiEndo,

Harvest uses "perf-object-get-instances" API call to get CIFS related stats.  It accesses the counter manager subsystem which keeps track of stats pushed to it by other subsystems.  I asked engineering if the bug could be caused via an API call to CIFS counters in counter manager and receved back:

> The counters are safe to query any time.

So I can confirm that Harvest cannot cause this bug.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Storage Architect, NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

Blog: It all begins with data

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

madden

Hi @ShuheiEndo,

Harvest does not call this API so no edits are needed to avoid this bug.  If you think Harvest is somehow causing you to hit this bug please send me a private message with more info including the support case #.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO

bobshouseofcards

As an aside, cDot 8.3.2P1 is now available which contains a fix for this bug. This patch level was released on the support site on April 15th.  I had to install it Saturday to deal with another of the bug fixes it addressed - stable in our operation so far.  I can't comment on how well it addresses the CIFS session issue as we've never hit that bug in practice.

Hope this helps.

Bob Greenwald

Lead Storage Engineer | Consilio

NCIE SAN cDot, Data Protection

Kudos and accepted solutions are always appreciated

ShuheiEndo

Thank you, Bob.

I'll consider to upgrade.

madden

Hi @ShuheiEndo,

Harvest uses "perf-object-get-instances" API call to get CIFS related stats.  It accesses the counter manager subsystem which keeps track of stats pushed to it by other subsystems.  I asked engineering if the bug could be caused via an API call to CIFS counters in counter manager and receved back:

> The counters are safe to query any time.

So I can confirm that Harvest cannot cause this bug.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

ShuheiEndo

@madden

Thank you so much.

We restarted our harvest again !

(yes, harvest uses only numbers, not client's computer names)

Public