Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Loaded OnCommand Unified manager on Windows Server 2008R2 - GUI will not load!

boggsb9489

Obviously, no matter what problem I create, I am the only person in the world to do it.  There is no help anywhere.  No where on the internet can I find an anwer to several questions, and they all involve NetApp and Symantec NetBackup.

\

I have loaded the OnCommand Unified Manager on my Master Server in the Symantec Netbackup Environement. My original goal is to make the NetBackup software recognize the NetApp Device.  So I chose thisa installation for the DataFabric Manager, the provisioning, etc.

Now that I have the software loaded and installed to what I consider to be correctly, the GUI interface will not load.  It turns blue, freezes and gives me not output.  Can't seem to get an answer from NetApp or NetBackup.

At my wits end!

38 REPLIES 38

boggsb9489

Hi Glen

1.  I am primarily NBU Admin, but deal with the storage side as well

2.  We can go back to ISCSI or we can use CIFS.  Currently, it is set up as NFS, but changing is no problem

3. Basic Disk or Advanced Disk...I am familiar with both, but still don't see how I am supposed to present (key word) the Netapp Device to Netbackup!

4.  Do I need to create a separate storage unit?

5.  Do I need to create another media server (namely the Netapp Appliance)?

6.  All data, even on the White Paper refer to Advanced Disk, for example, being multiple disk volumes presented as a single storage pool on a Media Server

providing dynamic storage allocation.     (If it is presented on a Media Server, what role does that Media Server play)?   This is crucial because my media servers currently are all backup storage devices (Basic Disk - Disk to Disk Storage) and are all almost full!

This is why I've always assumed that I need to use Open Storage since I want to write to a third party appliance.

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

1. Please setup iSCSI connection to one of your media servers. I remember you said you like master server to handle netapp storage, if so, make your master server as media server as well. Don't need create a new media server just for netapp.

2. Create a volume at the NetApp side, are you using 7-mode or c-mode?

3. You need SSO license from NBU in order to use advanced disk.

4. After going throught NBU storage setup, it will create a storage server at your media server, then storage unit ... you can name the storage unit as netapp appliance.

5. You media server will play a role of master server slave to move the data from network port to the storage unit this media server can see. If your media server does not have bandwidth of resource, you can create a new media server.

To me, you need to get the POC work first before making new investment.

Thanks

Glen

boggsb9489

Hi Glen,

1.  Master Server is already a Media Server, so good there!

2. Volume is already created on the NetApp side (working on ISCSI connection)

3.  SSO lIcense is good

Working on ISCSI portion ...will get back to you!

Bill

boggsb9489

Hi Glen,

Sorry to bother you again.   The ISCSI connection that I had to NetAPP3 is still in place and connected, even though NetBackup is, for some reason, not backing up to this device anymore.

Can I still use this ISCSI connector (initiator) and just change the IP address for the destination or do I need to create a new ISCSI initiator?

Bill

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

Are you using 7-mode or c-mode?

boggsb9489

7-Mode

boggsb9489

Hi Glen, Status Update:

ISCSI Configuration is set.

Now how do I make NetBackup mount it, recognize it and/or write to it

Bill

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

Use windows disk manager to format and give a drive letter, for example, Z.

Thanks

Glen

boggsb9489

UNCLASSIFIED

Drive does not map!!!!!!!!!!!

boggsb9489

Drive does not map!

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

I suggest to get netapp support to setup iSCSI topic.

After getting this one dne, we can move on to NBU

Thanks

Glen

boggsb9489

Hi Glen

Got the ISCSI initiator right and the drive mapped.....What do I do now (which steps do I take) to make Netbackup pick it up?

Have tried creating a storage server, a new storage unit and a disk pool.  Must be using a wrong option somewhere because it does not present the volume as accessible.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks,

Bill

GLENYU5820

Hi,

If the NetApp storage is presented to one of your media servers as a drive letter, then follow the youtube to go over. If you have issue to do, then work with NBU support saying

need help to create advanced disk.

That would be easy for them to understand and help you out.

Thanks

Glen

boggsb9489

OK Crazy as it is, without any of the Configuration working, I created a new policy, told it to write to the new volume, and it works...Makes no sense!

Bill

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

The could be NBU policy corruption.

So, you are happy now and can close this thread?

Thanks

Glen

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

Does everything work for you?

Do you feel this thread?

Thanks

Glen

boggsb9489

UNCLASSIFIED

Hi Glen,

Can't find any of the threads on Netapp anymore. This site is so dsamn difficult to navigate unless you're on it ALL day every day.

Long story short, I gave up on my original mission. Got no help or support. Nothing worked. OnCommand still does not work, Changed my NetAp[p settings from NFS back to ISCSI. Got the systems to talk, but not the way I wanted. Just seeing it as a drive letter, so I set up backups to it and left it alone.

SO frustrated with all of it, so I've moved on to more productive things.

Thanks for all your help.

Bill

ADVUNIPU1

If OC Core (formerly DFM / OM) GUI won't start and turn blue without an error message, try the following:

Most likely you don't have the adept credentials. You can find out the proper user by executing the following command:

Open a cmd window and execute the command 'dfm user list'

Greets

Peter

Public