Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Looking for an alternate DFM protection policy example

marc_ho_ltx

Hello, we're running DFM version 4.0.2 and using protection manager to backup our Netapps.  I'm looking for a policy that provides a local backup, then backup primary to secondary, and also backup primary to another secondary.  I have a backup Netapp local to the primary Netapp and also another backup Netapp at another site I would just like to use to keep a fail safe backup.  I was not interested in using the DR mirror for the offsite Netapp for a few reasons.  Is there a way to accomplish this?  Create a new policy not reliant on the examples given?

Thanks,

- Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi Marc,

FIrst of all, pls upgrade to 5.0.2P1 or later, as its the current GA release and also true 64bit application. 4.0.2 is already End of Support with the release of OCUm 5.2.

I would also recommend you to move to 5.2 as soon as possible.

Now  coming to your question. Using PM you cannot create policy topology of your own other than the predefined one. In fact we do have a policy which does the following, similar to what you are looking for except that the second backup is VSM or QSM.

Backup And Mirror

Or Mirror to 2 destination

Alternatively you can achieve what you are looking for by using the simple backup policy twice on the same source with 2 set of destination. You will end up creating 2 dataset for the same primary with Backup policy and different destination volume.

Also in one of the dataset with backup policy make the local backup schedule to none so that you don't have twice the number of snapshot being taken and retained in the primary.

So you will have 2 set of backup destination for the same primary but in 2 datasets instead of 1 due to the policy topology restrictions.

Hope this helps.

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

adaikkap

Hi Marc,

FIrst of all, pls upgrade to 5.0.2P1 or later, as its the current GA release and also true 64bit application. 4.0.2 is already End of Support with the release of OCUm 5.2.

I would also recommend you to move to 5.2 as soon as possible.

Now  coming to your question. Using PM you cannot create policy topology of your own other than the predefined one. In fact we do have a policy which does the following, similar to what you are looking for except that the second backup is VSM or QSM.

Backup And Mirror

Or Mirror to 2 destination

Alternatively you can achieve what you are looking for by using the simple backup policy twice on the same source with 2 set of destination. You will end up creating 2 dataset for the same primary with Backup policy and different destination volume.

Also in one of the dataset with backup policy make the local backup schedule to none so that you don't have twice the number of snapshot being taken and retained in the primary.

So you will have 2 set of backup destination for the same primary but in 2 datasets instead of 1 due to the policy topology restrictions.

Hope this helps.

Regards

adai

marc_ho_ltx

Hello Adai,

Thanks so much for your answer.  It did cross my mind to have two datasets for the same primary but wasn't sure if that was possible or recommended.  You've cleared that up. 

In regards to the upgrade, I would definitely like to upgrade if it supports my environment with no additional licensing purchases.  We currently use DFM for monitoring and protection manager for over 20 Netapps.  I was under the impression OnCommand would only work for Netapps running OnTap 8.X.X?  We have a number of Netapps ranging from FAS270, FAS3020, FAS3040, FAS2050, and FAS2040 all running 7.3.X.  Some of them would not support Ontap 8. I tried looking for this information online but did not have any luck

Thanks again!

- Marc

adaikkap

Hi Marc,

Strating OCUM 5.x licensing is $0 for all capabilities upto 250 nodes. You can check the supported ontap version in the IMT.  Here is the link to the IMT

http://support.netapp.com/matrix/

Also below is a comparison table that I prepared.

4.0.2D12

5.0.2P1

5.1D1

Release Designation

GA

GA

FCS

RC

Installer Version

32 Bit Only   

64 Bit Also   

64 Bit Also   

64 Bit Only

Min DOT

Max DOT

DOT 8.2 Support

NO

NO

NO

YES

OnTap Edge/T

(aka VSA)

No

No

YES-Limited

YES-Full

Operating Mode

Mixed

Mixed

Either/OR

Either/OR

Browser Support

IE 8.0

FF 3.0

Cr NoSup

IE 8.0

FF 3.6

Cr NoSup

IE 9.0

FF 11

Cr NoSup

IE 10

FF 19

Cr 24

Regards

adai

marc_ho_ltx

Thanks Adai,

Do you recommend a fresh installation of 5.2, or is there an upgrade path from 4.0.2.  The matrix tool was very confusing to use, but I'll look more in to it.

Thanks

- Marc

adaikkap

Hi Marc,

Yes there is an upgrade path. I would rather recommend doing the following.

1. Install 5.2 on a new server with the same license key are 4.0.2
  2. Change the following options values in your dfm 4.0.2 server
    • dfbm options set purgeJobsOlderThan=15days
    • dfm options set eventsPurgeInterval=30days
  3. Take a backup of our current DFM 4.0.2 using dfm backup create.
  4. Copy the backup taken in step 3 and restore in machine of step 1.

PS: Restore will take some time as it does quite some db maintenance, you will find a marked difference after restore in your interaction with NMC performance.

The reason I asked you to change the options in step 2 is because in 5.2 restore or upgrade delete all event older than the value set in each of these options.

Regards

adai

marc_ho_ltx

Thanks Adai!,

I'll give this a try next week. 

- Marc

Public