Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Lun Create WFA Workflow Question

justin_smith

Im looking to create a workflow that will create a LUN under an existing volume, create an iGroup and then assign initiators to the igroup. My question is this, can I have fields in WFA be made for user input? Specifically the LUN name and the iGroup name, the initators themselves will need to be manually input too. Obviously its not really "automated" when you have user inputs, but we have specifics in what we name LUN's and iGroups so a little user intervention is needed.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

geringer

Justin,

Just type in your variable name $Server in the name field for both the "Create LUN" and "Create iGroup" commands.   then when you go back to your "User Input", the variable will show up and you just need to make sure it is a "string" variable.  If you are good at MREL you can force the format of the user input as well.

Mike

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

geringer

Justin,

You can have an input for iGroup and Lun names, or you can create the names from an input variable.  For example, if you want to use a server name as your iGroup name and part of the lun name you can have an input varibale named $server and use this in the iGroup object definition in the name field and use it in the lun object creation as well.  You may not need to input the Initiators WWNN's, as these may be already available to the WFA cache.  So you should be able to use a multi-select query to allow the user to select them from a table.

Mike

justin_smith

Say for instance I want a server name for LUN name as well as the iGroup name too.

The field below is for the LUN create WFA but not sure what paramater I can type there.

geringer

Justin,

Just type in your variable name $Server in the name field for both the "Create LUN" and "Create iGroup" commands.   then when you go back to your "User Input", the variable will show up and you just need to make sure it is a "string" variable.  If you are good at MREL you can force the format of the user input as well.

Mike

justin_smith

Looks like that will do the trick and Im not sure I need to force anything at this point yet 🙂

One more question though, When Im maping a LUN, I want it to use the LUN name of in the previous step. Is there a way to add that, or should I just do a user input there as well?

justin_smith

I think I figured it out..... Ill post here what I did if i works.

justin_smith

So Im having the create lun workflow create a lun based on a volume that gets automatically searched. I have it search for "find volume by name in a give storage virtual machine" I put the cluster name, volume name and SVM and get this error when previewing my Workflow.

Failed to evaluate resource selector. Illegal expression: seatssan01
At command 'Create LUN', tab 'Lun', variable 'new_lun', property 'volume'

Im using the finder itself and typing in the same fields and its not coming back with any info. Am I missing something?

geringer

Justin,

Is seatssan01 the name of the volume, or is it the name of the variable that contains the volume name?  I would use the query option in the user input to "select" the volume name instead of habving someone input it.  That way you know the volume exists.

Mike

justin_smith

Its the name of the SVM that contains the volume.

geringer

Justin,

You may need to put it in "seatssan01".

Mike

justin_smith

Tried that on all 3 fields, individually and all of the above.

Volume name, cluster name or IP and Storage VM. I've done them individually and then all 3 at once, all 3 in " " and get this error:

Workflow aborted.
No results were found. The following filters have returned empty results:
Filter volumes by key
At command 'Create LUN', tab 'Lun', variable 'new_lun', property 'volume'

sinhaa

Justin_smith,

You need to understad the building blocks of a workflow and how it works. First, lets look to solve your problem

1.  An error like "No results were found. The following filters have returned empty results" means that the SQL query in your filter chosen in "Automatically serached" object has found no rows matching the criteria you gave.

To verify this do a "Test" of the filter.There is a test button at the bottom left corner. Provide same values as you were doing when executing the command. Likely you will get empty result. So no volume of the given name belonging to the given vserver on the given cluster is present in WFA DB.

sinhaa 

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

sinhaa

Justin_smith,

You need to understad the building blocks of a workflow and how it works. First, lets look to solve your problem

1.  An error like "No results were found. The following filters have returned empty results" means that the SQL query in your filter chosen in "Automatically serached" object has found no rows matching the criteria you gave.

To verify this do a "Test" of the filter.There is a test button at the bottom left corner. Provide same values as you were doing when executing the command. Likely you will get empty result. So no volume of the given name belonging to the given vserver on the given cluster is present in WFA DB.

sinhaa 

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

justin_smith

I've ran multiple "tests" under different finders and none seem to be pulling any results.

I've gone as far as to find volume in cluster and it get the same output.

geringer

Justin,

Do you have a data source for the clustered OnTap environment?  Is it running successfully?  It sounds like maybe the WFA cache does not have these volumes.

Mike

justin_smith

I actually have older versions of DFM and WFA and Im in the process of upgrading those now. Ill post my results.

justin_smith

Updated both WFA and installed OnCommand Unified Manager to the latest and greatest and that seemed to work.

On a side note, when doing a Workflow with a finder, you do need to have the static name in ' ' rather than ". Single quotes do the trick.

Thanks again to everyone that helped.

Public