OC 5 dfm backup without performance Data

daehnrich_bsh

Hello,

I have 2 types of OC 5.0 Servers.

Backup Type on both servers is archive.

1. Test Server with 10GB Performance Data and a DB Size from 190MB

2. Productive PA Server with 155GB Performance Data and a DB Size from 1,1GB

Server 1, backup DB and Perfdata

Server 2, backup only the DB, I dont get why not the perfdata. When the Server was running DFM 4.02 it was backing up also the performance Data.

1. Backup Log

C:\Users\admdaehnrich-ext>dfm backup create

Disabling Performance Advisor.

Copying keystore for backup ...

1 File(s) copied

SQL Anywhere Backup Utility Version 10.0.1.4213

(31432 of 31419 pages, 100% complete)

Database backup completed

Waiting for existing writes to stop, which could take a few minutes.

Please be patient ...

Creating the archive ...

Verifying the archive ...

Enabling Performance Advisor.

Completed backup E:/Program Files/NetApp/DataFabric/DFM/data/dfm_backup_2012-04-

03_12-09-42.ndb.

2. Backup Log

C:\Users\admdaehnrich-ext>dfm backup create

Disabling Performance Advisor.

Copying keystore for backup ...

1 File(s) copied

SQL Anywhere Backup Utility Version 10.0.1.4213

(31432 of 31419 pages, 100% complete)

Database backup completed

Waiting for existing writes to stop, which could take a few minutes.

Please be patient ...

Creating the archive ...

Verifying the archive ...

Enabling Performance Advisor.

Completed backup E:/Program Files/NetApp/DataFabric/DFM/data/dfm_backup_2012-04-

03_12-09-42.ndb.

I have enough space, it would be great when there is a option to exclude the perf data from the backup but the behavior now is not normal.

Any hints?

thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

crocker

is this something your team handles or should this be asked in the NetApp Support Community?

Mike

reide

daehnrich.bsh,

Please run a 'dfm diag' for each server, and attach the ouput as files so that we may view them. (don't just paste contents in body of message).  Also, please run the following commands on each server as well and show the output:

# dfm options list | grep perfArchiveDir

# dfm backup diag

daehnrich_bsh

hi,

well, before the update was done it got backed up. The DFM and the Performance Data are now on a Lun, since DFM cant handle his performance Data on Cifs shares.

Before the DFM was on a local disk and only the performance Data was on that Lun, but after new installation from server and restore from the my dfm backup i had to put both on the lun.

attached you find the dfm backup diag.

cheers Soeren

reide

Soeren,

I know from past experience that spreading parts of the DFM datastore across different disk devices & paths (i.e. the DFM database is on the local disk but Performance Advisor data is on a LUN) can cause the DFM database backups to not back-up everything. Usually, anything that is not in the same filesystem as the DFM database is what doesn't get captured as part of the backup. Based on your comment, "Before the DFM was on a local disk and only the performance Data was on that Lun" it sound like this is what you were doing.

Once you did the new installation and put everything on a single LUN, did the backups work correctly after that?

Reid

adaikkap

I think you are being hit by this known issue which is fixed in OnCommand Unified Manager 5.0.1/5.0.2/5.1

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=560602

Regards

adai

Public