Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Should I have both Provisioning Manager and Workflow softwre?

netappmagic

If I already have OnCommand Unified Manager Provisoning Capability, why do I need to have Workflow administration software? I know Workflow can replace a lot of administration tasks, but do I really need it?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

bschramm

The Provisioning Manager and Protection Manager modules in OnCommand Unified Manager support only 7-Mode; they will not be updated to support Clustered Data ONTAP.  OnCommand Workflow Automation (WFA) is our new orchestration tool.  WFA not only supports both 7-Mode and Clustered Data ONTAP, but also, is much, much more flexible and customizable than Provisioning Manager.

I'd recommend checking out the OnCommand Workflow Automation community for some more details and demo videos.  WFA is also part of the weekly demo series.  If you'd like a one on one discussion and/or demo, reach out to your sales team and we'd be more than happy to schedule some time with you.

adaikkap

Hi,

Also, provisioning manager allows you only with the canned set of policies to provision, volume or qtree in 7-Mode only as righlty said by Bryan.

But WFA will allow you to customize everything you like, and making end to end automation, of not just storage but also server virtualization, like VMware etc.

Regards

adai

netappmagic

It sounds to me then WFA can cover a lot features of Provision/Protection Manger, so, I only need to focus on WFA, and not too much time on the later one?

adaikkap

Yes, but in case of WFA, not everything is out of the box. You will have to build new or customize the existing workflows to meet your requirements.

Regards

adai

Public