Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Use Provisioning Manager "fully thin" NAS volume

rdenyer001

Looking for some assistance in using    a Provisioning Policy  to create "Fully Thin"   CIFS  NAS volumes.

Best I seem to be able to do  is  Space reservation  = File,  but then this then turns on Fractional Reserve.

These CIFS volumes are not critical  or that important and  I can use  System Manager or command line  to create, but  am trying to do as much as possible in Operations Manager  volumes, so I can hand off to the IT support team

Regards,

Richard

4 REPLIES 4

adaikkap

Hi Richard,

OCUM 5.1 release has an options to disable the file space reservation to none for NAS provisioning policy both at dataset and global level. Here is the link to the same from Release notes of version 5.1

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1120082/html/GUID-3E8AB1F0-FF4F-4991-AE37-BEBB704BF614.html

Copy Pasting the same for convenience

dfpm dataset set

With the isNoneGuaranteedProvision option, enables thin provisioning in a specified dataset of NAS volumes, with no space guarantee

With the isSkipAutosizeConformance option, skips the dataset conformance check on the Autosize option in a volume member of a specified dataset, and enables thin provisioning in a specified dataset of NAS volumes when theisNoneGuaranteedProvision option is also enabled

dfm option set

With the isNoneGuaranteedProvision option, enables thin provisioning in all datasets of NAS volumes with no space guarantee

With the isSkipAutosizeConformance option, skips the dataset conformance check on the Autosize option in a volume and enables thin provisioning in all datasets of NAS volumes when the isNoneGuaranteedProvision option is also enabled

Regards

adai

rdenyer001

Thanks Adai,

While on this topic, do you know a way to change the “Auto Snap Shot Delete” settings for SAN ?

The option is there for NAS, but not for SAN.

What ramifications would there be if I used a NAS policy to provison volumes for SAN?

Considering we use SnapDrive to create all our LUNs

Regards,

Richard

adaikkap

Hi Richard,

To answer your first question, there is no way to change the autoSnapShot delete settings for SAN.

The things that immediately come to my mind are the following difference,

In Case of SAN volumes, 

• the scheduled snapshots on the volume are disabled.
  • The volume options are specific to SAN
  • There is no snap reserve.

Regards

adai

hland

Richard,

if you are starting a new project (e.g. no Provisioning Manager legacy to consider) I would definitely recommend that you look into OnCommand Workflow Automation (WFA) as an alternative. That's the tool to use for automated provisioning going forward and it gives you full flexibility and control over every setting.

Regards

Hendrik

Public