Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

WFA Clone and export workflow using REST

kamilmadac

Hi,

Is it possible to Clone, apply template and export multiple workflows into one DAR file using REST API in WFA 2.2?

I'm looking for it, because I would like to prepare automated preparation of packages for production.

So far I found possiblity only to export one workflow into dar, or to export all workflows in dar. I'm not able to choose particular workflows to export.

Thanks for any advice.

12 REPLIES 12

ranjeetr

As of now there is no REST interface to do this.

abhit

The creation of dars is a designer feature.

Any reason why you want to create the dars thru the REST APIs?

We would like to understand the use-case better.

It will be great if you can provide little more details.

Regards

Abhi

kamilmadac

Hi Abhit,

We have several environments where we develop our workflows (DEV/STAGING/TESTING).As soon as everything is tested successfully we send it to PRODUCTION environment. We are preparing package files for tresting and production environment where responsible person install it according to pdf guide. We create this package file manually by exporting workflows/functions/data_sources/..., adding custom powershell scripts, new db schemas, we zip ip and send it to production team. We have currently about 15 workflows and 10 of them are clones of master workflow with different templates assigned.

Manual preparation of the package takes hours of manual work and it is error prone. Scripting these steps with REST api would be great improvment.

I would like to have on script which would clone workflows, implement templates, export workflows to dar, add all custom scripts/sql schemes and zip it. It would save horendous amount of clicking and deployment would be easier with less errors.

Kamil

abhit

Hi Kamil:

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding cloning of workflows and applying the templates, we would recommend to use the designer.

However, you stated "So far I found possiblity only to export one workflow into dar, or to export all workflows in dar. I'm not able to choose particular workflows to export".

Would you like to see an API,  thru which a set of workflows can be specified to be exported into a single dar.

Will it solve some of the issues which you have mentioned.

Regards

Abhi

kamilmadac

Hi Abhit,

Manual work in designer is most time consuming task. If you recommmned use deisgner, does it mean, that there is no way or no plan to add automation of cloning and applying template actions?

API for export specific workflow would be definitely helpful for me.

Kamil

antimon51

Hi Everyone,

I am working with the WFA version 3.1 and want to automatize workflow integretaion from TEST WFA to the PRODUCTION WFA via some scripts (similiar to kamil).

The last post on this was posted almost a year ago.

Are there any changes to the subject by now?

Are there any APIs which allow me to export a specific workflow or are there any plans known on including this feature in a future WFA version?

Thanks for any ideas, advice and insight on this subject.

Regards,

Antimon

sinhaa

Antimon,

WFA3.1 already has an API to export the specific workflow.

API: DarResource

Method: GET

Mount Point: /dars/<workflow-UUID>

Example: http://<wfa-server>/rest/dars/12345-343434-3434-3432322323

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

antimon51

Hello sinhaa,

Thank you very much for your quick response, your answer helped already a lot.

Is there also a way to import dar files and/or save workflows with a different name and/or delete workflows?

Are there any documentations about existing REST API's?

Regards, Antimon

abhit

Are there any documentations about existing REST API's?

http://localhost/rest/docs/ . Localhost is the same machine where you have installed WFA.

Besides that you can look into this post:

http://community.netapp.com/t5/OnCommand-Storage-Management-Software-Articles-and-Resources/WFA-release-document-WFA-Web-services-primer-and-reference...

Regards

Abhi

sinhaa

@ Is there also a way to import dar files and/or save workflows with a different name and/or delete workflows?

------

This is not possible. I'm not clear as why you want to rename the workflow during import. Why not rename it before exporting it on the source WFA. Rename it or clone it then export. Or rename it after importing on the destination WFA.

Why it has to be done during import?

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

antimon51

Sorry, my question was unfortunately worded.

I need several different APIs to do the following:

1. Export a Workflow from the Test WFA.

2. Import a Workflow into the Productive WFA.

3. Save a copy of the imported Workflow with a different name in the productive wfa (save as option; I just want to add the tag "archive"+<timestamp> to the name)

4. Change the Category of the Workflow copy.

The imported workflow shall be twice in the productive WFA to get a kind of archive / version controll.

All steps can be done manually, of course, but the steps are always the same, so I'd like to write a script/workflow which does these steps.

Steps 1 and 2 can be done using the API: DarResource.

regards,

antimon

sinhaa

Antimon,

Your requirement for cloning or editing a workflow just for SAVE AS but that's not the only thing cloning is built for. You can do any workflow modification that is possible.

WFA doesn't distinguishes a "SAVE AS" as a separate task, its the part of workflow designing/edit. And designing/editing a workflow can't be done using REST APIs, its far too complicated for that.

We can look at it in future, but for now workflow "Save as" and Categories will remain at GUI.

sinhaa

Public