Noticed two failed drives, so went into the NetApp GUI and "removed" them, which errored out, then physically removed the failed drives. Now all the spare drives have changed names and the spares are in different locations in the appliance. There are twelve spare drives, nine of which are the correct model to replace the failed disks. The system seems ok. The syslog said the failed drives should be removed, so I think pulling them out was the right thing to do. I'm just unsure how to proceed from here. Here are the logs from when I removed the drives...system complaining about the drives at 8AM. I removed the failed drives at 10:25AM.
Wed Sep 19 08:03:43 PDT [raid.fdr.reminder:warning]: Failed Disk 0g.34 Shelf 2 Bay 2 [NETAPP X266_MTOMC320PSX RBTV] S/N [A813LYRE] is still present in the system and should be removed.
Wed Sep 19 08:03:43 PDT [raid.fdr.reminder:warning]: Failed Disk 0f.24 Shelf 1 Bay 8 [NETAPP X266_MTOMC320PSX R5VV] S/N [A82D61TE] is still present in the system and should be removed.
Wed Sep 19 09:00:00 PDT [kern.timed.adjust:info]: server 'time' reports the appliance date is fast by 0.003 seconds. Adjusting date.