Active IQ and AutoSupport Discussions

Upgrade advisor with multiple serial numbers does not show target version as 9

ASH2017

Hi,

Can someone please confirm on the upgrade advisor tool on the myautosupport.

When I select customer, and then click upgrade advisor, it selects all the serial numbers and shows target versions for all the NetApp boxes without ONTAP 9. For ex- FAS2552

For 8.3.2 it shows 8.3.2P11, I am pretty sure you can go to ONTAP 9.0 or 9.1 directly from 8.3.x.

If I put just one serial number it shows 9.1 as option.

Is that a bug something ?

Thanks,

-Ashwin

14 REPLIES 14

andris
Are you sure ALL of the serial numbers' models and starting ONTAP version can upgrade to 9.x?

ASH2017

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

Just attached the screenshot for clearer understading.

If I put the serial number for this specific host, then I am able to see the ONTAP as an upgrade option.

Thanks,

-Ash

colsen

Hello,

If you click on the "target version" hyperlink, you should get a "select target version" that you can pick whatever is available.  I picked our FAS8040 that's running 8.3.2P1 and the first thing that gets displayed as a target version is 8.3.2P11.  However, if I click on the 8.3.2P11 link I can select all the way up to 9.2.

Always use the classic MyAutosupport if you can't get this one working.  I've done both and had success with both, but not sure about your particular environment/circumstances.

Good luck,

Chris

ASH2017

Hi,

For me its not working. Please see attachments.

Thanks,

-Ash

ASH2017

colsen

I tried your scenario (I dumped all our SN#s into the text box) and it looks like the upgrade advisor tool selects the lowest common ONTAP that all of the selected platforms can run.  For example, I have SN#s on nodes already running 9.1P5 and old 7mode systems running 8.1.4 - when all of them are in the list, even if I select the AFF8080 node running 9.1P5, it only shows it capable of being upgraded to 8.2.5 (since I have some old 3240s or whatever that can't be upgraded past that version).

I'd just run the upgrade advisor cluster-by-cluster (or HA Pair by HA Pair) and come up with custom reports for the systems (vs. trying to run a bulk advisor report) as it definitely sounds like there are some systems in your list that can't go beyond 8.2.5....

Hope that helps,

Chris

andris

+1.

I can think of a couple reasons why 9.0 can't be chosen, assuming all the systems are cDOT.

1. FAS3240 or V3240: Not supported as of 9.0.
  2. DS14 storage shelves: Not supported as of 9.0.

ASH2017

Thanks for your message, I appreciate for simulating my scenario. I agree with you, there are systems in my environment which are not capable of going past 8.2.5, and if I enter serial number inidividually per cluster they seem to be alright. That was exactly my original question, if there is a drop down box for individual serial numbers in that collective list then why not it allows you to select as per the FAS model capability. probably, config advisor is not capable of doing that at this moment. I just wanted to bring to this autosupport developers at NetApp to see if they can do this feature.

Thanks again for confirming my scenario.

Thanks everyone who provided their comments and time for this thread.

Regards,

-Ashwin

ASH2017

Hi,

I would like to mark your reponse as solution, but I am just wondering if NetApp upgrade advisors development team or support team can proivde some input here ? There is no note or instructions which informs customer that they should run advisor separately for each serial number.

Thanks,

-Ashwin

andris

I've passed on your concerns to the Product Manager.

ASH2017

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. Cheers!

ASH2017

Hi,

Any update from the Upgrade Advisor team ?

Thanks,

-Ashwin

ssahana

Hi Ashwin

I am from product management team for Upgrade Advisor. We will work on the enhancement to include the platform checks before user proceeds to upgrade to an unsupported platform.

We will try to avoid populating the dropdown list with an unsupported ONTAP version.

Thanks for reaching out.

Sahana

ASH2017

Hi Sahana,

Thanks for the message. Much appreciated!

Do we have any time line for this enhancement request. 

Also, until we fix this, can we advise customers - To avoid selecting alll the serial numbers for looking up ONTAP upgrade capability, rather run it individually for each serial number ?

Thanks,

-Ashwin

Public