Active IQ and AutoSupport Discussions

VOL CLONE space consume

HEMANTKAROLE

Can any one tell if we create vol clone with snapshot so it will create the another. The question is that it consume separate aggr space of parent volume space

• vol clone create nfs_s1_a5_coloora12db1_u02_002 -s none -b nfs_s1_a5_coloora12db1_u02 r12UAT_DBF   --------à
10 REPLIES 10

ASHWANI8HIGHS

Once you clone the volume from a particular snapshot that snapshot will locked and will list as (busy,vclone)  .

Clone volume will not consume any  space till it's not splitted from the original volume .It will take space from the same aggregate once its splitted  .

HEMANTKAROLE

Thanks for your prompt response.

That mean colned volume will consumed only space from parent volume till it was not split it.

Please correct me if  i am wrong.

Thanks,

hemant

sharmadevender

You are right.

Below mentioned link will provide you every possible details about NetApp clone.

https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-10323

Hope this helps and give you in depth knowledge.

HEMANTKAROLE

Thanks , But question that cloned volume will consume the space from aggr or volume

ASHWANI8HIGHS

Before split -will not take any space 

After split - will take from aggr  .

sharmadevender

As i already told you that "you are right" means it will take space from volume untill you will split it.

and if you have gone through link provided by me. you must not ask this questions again

HEMANTKAROLE

Thanks guys i have gone through link. But little confusion here so when we write the data on new cloned volume  then it will take the data from the parent volume or aggr.

sharmadevender

parent volume..

HEMANTKAROLE

Thanks. Can we move cloned volume or split volume  to other aggr . Can we restore the cloned volume snapstore restoration.

sharmadevender

Nope, we cannot move cloned volume to other aggregate and yes if you have splitted clone volume then after split finishes, you have serveral ways to move it to other aggregates. You need to explain your next question "Can we restore the cloned volume snapstore restoration" in detail.

Public