Additional Virtualization Discussions

iscsi boot and iBFT

ldomenella

Hi all,

im looking some detailed documentation about ibft and iscsi boot.

im trying to made xenserver6 (citrix) to boot from iscsi (netapp fas2050a) using ibft but i have some troubles.

i've been able to let him to boot thrught some e1000 nics (broadcom do not support ibft) - awfully there are not documented flasg to run the xen installer to made it to boot using ibft and to install on multipathed root device.

(you must go in debug mode: type shell at cdrom boot, then you must set the initiatorname (echo "InitiatorName=iqn.1998.05.com.whatever:server:hostname)" > /etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi), then run the installer manually with

these options: /opt/xensource/installer/init --use_ibft --device_mapper_multipath=yes and the options default of xen like console=blah blah)

the installation is successful, but i can't connect to other iscsi targets that is not netapp OR the netapp i booted from... my network admin say it could be a problem with ARP, setting the asp entry manually it works fine...

but when we did a test for the multipath (we disabled from the switch a network), the arp entries disappeared and it stopped to work...

any idea ?

best regards,

Luca

1 REPLY 1

crocker

Hi,

Since you have not gotten an answer, you may want to ask this question in the NetApp Support Community.  The current customers, partners and internal Subject Matter Experts are addressing technical product questions there.

Mike

Public