Ask The Experts

DFM upgrade failed ( Unable to upgrade the database to the latest file format )

Naga_1987

Hi,

I have been trying to upgrade the DFM version from 4.0.2 to 5.2.3  ( Oncommand core package for 7 mode) . The new version software is sucessfully installed. But while trying to restore the backup getting the following error.

The system has enoguh space and memory. 80GB of free space and 16GB RAM, Windows 7. 

"SQL error : Not enough memory to start"

Error: unable to upgrade the database to the latest file format. 

Please advise the workaround for this issue. 

Thanks

Naga

3 REPLIES 3

gaurav_verma

First I have strong doubt if it can run on Windows 7. I guess it should be Windows server (2008 etc). Please check that. 

Second, how many 7 modes are there in your environment or this DB backup is for how many HA pairs? 

Was it running on same 16GB before? Can you try to increase RAM capacity. 

Naga_1987

Hi Gaurav,

It is Win server 2008 R. And the DB backup is for 5 HA pairs. yes earlier it is running with 16GB RAM. 

I need to check with VMware team..can they increase the RAM.

Thanks

Naga

Doc_Poulson

upgrading OnCommand Unified Manager Core Package  from version 4.0.2 to 5.2.3 is a fairly significant jump in DFM versions.   

The 4.X version  of OnCommand Unified Manager Core Package (also known as DFM) has not been supported by NetApp Technical Support since 2012-2013.

See also the "General Software End of Version Support Table"  located on the NetApp Software Version Support site

NetApp Best Practice is to operate on the most recent software versions that have been tested as compatible; as indicated within the NetApp Interoperability Matrix tool. (IMT)   

The IMT will allow you to validate Host Operating System versions, as well as, Data Ontap versions that are supported with OnCommand Unified Manager Core Package 5.2.3

If the Error persists, you could look at the option of standing up a new Windows host for an OnCommand Unified Manager Core Package 5.2.3 server instance, with the intention of start a new monitoring server.   Discover all of the 5 HA pairs into the new 5.2.3 Server

You can then configure the DFM Acquisition service to 'Manual start' within the Windows OS that hosts the  4.0.X server.  This configuration will stop the 4.0.X DFM from trying to gather data from any of the Data Ontap HA Pairs that are now being monitored by the new 5.2.3 server.

It also allows you access to any historical Performance data that may be contained within the 4.0.X Database. 

Over time, you will eventually be able to phase out the  4.0.X  server to reclaim the VM resources back into the environment.

It has been my experience, when making huge version jumps, that it's best to just start over with a new installation of the latest compatible version,  to ensure stability of the OnCommand Unified Manager server in the long run.

Public