Ask The Experts

Error while accessing CIFS shares through SMBv1

SHAIKNR

Hi,

We have issue accessing shares via SMBv1, with error below after migrating from 7_Mode (8.2) to Cluster Mode (9.2)

2019-01-26 10:23:32,527 [localhost-startStop-1] DEBUG com.swhh.l.f.j - added and started thread IOJobs Manager thread

2019-01-26 10:23:32,528 [IOJobs Manager thread] DEBUG com.swhh.cs.uarchive.af - IOJobManager Started

2019-01-26 10:23:40,180 [IOJobs Manager thread] WARN  jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection - Referral failed, trying next

jcifs.smb.SmbException: Signature validation failed

at jcifs.smb.SmbSessionImpl.sessionSetupSMB2(SmbSessionImpl.java:646)

at jcifs.smb.SmbSessionImpl.sessionSetup(SmbSessionImpl.java:463)

at jcifs.smb.SmbSessionImpl.send(SmbSessionImpl.java:358)

at jcifs.smb.SmbSessionImpl.send(SmbSessionImpl.java:336)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeImpl.treeConnect(SmbTreeImpl.java:600)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection.connectTree(SmbTreeConnection.java:609)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection.connectHost(SmbTreeConnection.java:563)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection.connectHost(SmbTreeConnection.java:484)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection.connect(SmbTreeConnection.java:460)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection.connectWrapException(SmbTreeConnection.java:421)

at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.ensureTreeConnected(SmbFile.java:545)

at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:821)

at com.swhh.utils.io.a.a(SourceFile:117)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.aa.g(SourceFile:229)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.aa.b(SourceFile:176)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.aa.a(SourceFile:203)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.ac.g(SourceFile:203)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.v.g(SourceFile:112)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.b.g(SourceFile:337)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.ad.q(SourceFile:492)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.af.run(SourceFile:382)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

2019-01-26 10:23:40,200 [IOJobs Manager thread] ERROR com.swhh.cs.uarchive.aa - Folder \\NetAppController1\CIFSShare_2019\: jcifs.smb.SmbException - Signature validation failed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

Hi

The signature still provided by ONTAP even if it's disabled. if you moved a CNAME with one signature to another filer it may cache it on the client and complain that it changed .  you can also see it on the filer side with the following command.

event log show -message-n Nblade.smbSignatureMismatch

When i had this issue is was on around 15  Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (seems that 2008/non-R2 2012/2016 Windows versions were not impacted)

The soultuion was to either reboot it , or (as it wasn't possible on some servers), set this regkey until the next reboot

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters" RequireSecureNegotiate -Value 0 -Force

i suspect your windows 10 issue when the signature is enforced is different.

are your clients actually manage to create smb 2+ sessions and Keberos authentication?  see with:

cifs session show -fields address,windows-user,is-session-signed,auth-mechanism,protocol-version

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SHAIKNR

Yes, SMB1, SMB2, SMB3 enabled on the Vserver. Today i have changed the setting of the IS-SIGNING-REQUIRED to TRUE and i can see the users who was complaining earlier that his AVAYA CONTACT RECORDER application was failing with Signing was able to access .... But after sometime i see some users who are on WINDOWS 10 complaining that they are not able to access their shares.  So i put back the setting IS-SIGNING-REQUIRED to FALSE.  Now i am still hanging issue with the AVAYA application.

Kerberos Clock Skew:                  10 minutes
                    Kerberos Ticket Age:                  10 hours
                   Kerberos Renewal Age:                   7 days
                   Kerberos KDC Timeout:                  10 seconds
                    Is Signing Required:               false
        Is Password Complexity Required:                true
   Use start_tls for AD LDAP connection:               false
              Is AES Encryption Enabled:               false
                 LM Compatibility Level:     ntlm-ntlmv2-krb
             Is SMB Encryption Required:               false
                Client Session Security:                none
        SMB1 Enabled for DC Connections:               false
        SMB2 Enabled for DC Connections:                true 

GidonMarcus

Hi

The signature still provided by ONTAP even if it's disabled. if you moved a CNAME with one signature to another filer it may cache it on the client and complain that it changed .  you can also see it on the filer side with the following command.

event log show -message-n Nblade.smbSignatureMismatch

When i had this issue is was on around 15  Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (seems that 2008/non-R2 2012/2016 Windows versions were not impacted)

The soultuion was to either reboot it , or (as it wasn't possible on some servers), set this regkey until the next reboot

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters" RequireSecureNegotiate -Value 0 -Force

i suspect your windows 10 issue when the signature is enforced is different.

are your clients actually manage to create smb 2+ sessions and Keberos authentication?  see with:

cifs session show -fields address,windows-user,is-session-signed,auth-mechanism,protocol-version

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK
Public