Ask The Experts

Error while accessing CIFS shares through SMBv1

SHAIKNR

Hi,

We have issue accessing shares via SMBv1, with error below after migrating from 7_Mode (8.2) to Cluster Mode (9.2)

2019-01-26 10:23:32,527 [localhost-startStop-1] DEBUG com.swhh.l.f.j - added and started thread IOJobs Manager thread

2019-01-26 10:23:32,528 [IOJobs Manager thread] DEBUG com.swhh.cs.uarchive.af - IOJobManager Started

2019-01-26 10:23:40,180 [IOJobs Manager thread] WARN  jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection - Referral failed, trying next

jcifs.smb.SmbException: Signature validation failed

at jcifs.smb.SmbSessionImpl.sessionSetupSMB2(SmbSessionImpl.java:646)

at jcifs.smb.SmbSessionImpl.sessionSetup(SmbSessionImpl.java:463)

at jcifs.smb.SmbSessionImpl.send(SmbSessionImpl.java:358)

at jcifs.smb.SmbSessionImpl.send(SmbSessionImpl.java:336)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeImpl.treeConnect(SmbTreeImpl.java:600)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection.connectTree(SmbTreeConnection.java:609)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection.connectHost(SmbTreeConnection.java:563)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection.connectHost(SmbTreeConnection.java:484)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection.connect(SmbTreeConnection.java:460)

at jcifs.smb.SmbTreeConnection.connectWrapException(SmbTreeConnection.java:421)

at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.ensureTreeConnected(SmbFile.java:545)

at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:821)

at com.swhh.utils.io.a.a(SourceFile:117)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.aa.g(SourceFile:229)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.aa.b(SourceFile:176)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.aa.a(SourceFile:203)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.ac.g(SourceFile:203)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.v.g(SourceFile:112)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.b.g(SourceFile:337)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.ad.q(SourceFile:492)

at com.swhh.cs.uarchive.af.run(SourceFile:382)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

2019-01-26 10:23:40,200 [IOJobs Manager thread] ERROR com.swhh.cs.uarchive.aa - Folder \\NetAppController1\CIFSShare_2019\: jcifs.smb.SmbException - Signature validation failed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

Hi

The signature still provided by ONTAP even if it's disabled. if you moved a CNAME with one signature to another filer it may cache it on the client and complain that it changed .  you can also see it on the filer side with the following command.

event log show -message-n Nblade.smbSignatureMismatch

When i had this issue is was on around 15  Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (seems that 2008/non-R2 2012/2016 Windows versions were not impacted)

The soultuion was to either reboot it , or (as it wasn't possible on some servers), set this regkey until the next reboot

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters" RequireSecureNegotiate -Value 0 -Force

i suspect your windows 10 issue when the signature is enforced is different.

are your clients actually manage to create smb 2+ sessions and Keberos authentication?  see with:

cifs session show -fields address,windows-user,is-session-signed,auth-mechanism,protocol-version

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SHAIKNR

Yes, SMB1, SMB2, SMB3 enabled on the Vserver. Today i have changed the setting of the IS-SIGNING-REQUIRED to TRUE and i can see the users who was complaining earlier that his AVAYA CONTACT RECORDER application was failing with Signing was able to access .... But after sometime i see some users who are on WINDOWS 10 complaining that they are not able to access their shares.  So i put back the setting IS-SIGNING-REQUIRED to FALSE.  Now i am still hanging issue with the AVAYA application.

Kerberos Clock Skew:                  10 minutes
                    Kerberos Ticket Age:                  10 hours
                   Kerberos Renewal Age:                   7 days
                   Kerberos KDC Timeout:                  10 seconds
                    Is Signing Required:               false
        Is Password Complexity Required:                true
   Use start_tls for AD LDAP connection:               false
              Is AES Encryption Enabled:               false
                 LM Compatibility Level:     ntlm-ntlmv2-krb
             Is SMB Encryption Required:               false
                Client Session Security:                none
        SMB1 Enabled for DC Connections:               false
        SMB2 Enabled for DC Connections:                true 

GidonMarcus

Hi

The signature still provided by ONTAP even if it's disabled. if you moved a CNAME with one signature to another filer it may cache it on the client and complain that it changed .  you can also see it on the filer side with the following command.

event log show -message-n Nblade.smbSignatureMismatch

When i had this issue is was on around 15  Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (seems that 2008/non-R2 2012/2016 Windows versions were not impacted)

The soultuion was to either reboot it , or (as it wasn't possible on some servers), set this regkey until the next reboot

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters" RequireSecureNegotiate -Value 0 -Force

i suspect your windows 10 issue when the signature is enforced is different.

are your clients actually manage to create smb 2+ sessions and Keberos authentication?  see with:

cifs session show -fields address,windows-user,is-session-signed,auth-mechanism,protocol-version

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public