Ask The Experts

Export of license keys FAS2240/4 Ontap 8.2P3 7-Mode

buecki

Hello,

I got a used FAS2240/4 with ONTAP 8.2 P3 7-Mode running on it:

NAPKF01> version
NetApp Release 8.2P3 7-Mode: Wed Sep 11 21:30:48 PDT 2013
NAPKF01>

... and I don't have a support contract for it.

I have to wipe the disks and want to set up the system von scratch on after that. But of course I don't want to miss the licenses, so the question is how to back them up and restore them after the wipe.

The old method with the command "license" don't show the keys, only the installed licenses:

NAPKF01> license
Serial Number: 650002037628
Owner: NAPKF01
Package Type Description Expiration
----------------- ------- --------------------- --------------------
NFS license NFS License -
CIFS license CIFS License -
iSCSI license iSCSI License -
FCP license FCP License -
SnapRestore license SnapRestore License -
SnapMirror demo SnapMirror License 2/3/2014 09:00:00
NAPKF01>

I googled and found for ONTAP 8.2 "system license show -fields serial-number", but system tells me that "system license" is an unknown command.

Does anyone know how to to this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

You are describing what we see as transfer - and only the original purchaser is permitted to use our software on the controller.

Disposing of the data is typically the responsibility of the original purchaser, and they would have the license codes to re-install the system. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AlexDawson

Hi there,

NetApp licenses are not transferrable, and so this functionality is by design.

You don't need to factory reset - just delete volumes, and run "setup" from the command line and it is effectively the same.

buecki

Good morning,  Alex!

First: Thanks for your reply. And now of course a "but":

Deleting volumes is not the same as wiping a disk. Due to data security reasons these disks has to be wiped with DoD standard and certificate - there are personal relevant data on them and so this has to be done.

I know that the licences are bound to the serial number of the machine and so they can't e transferred, but a transfer is not what should be done. We only want to reinstall them on the same machine. And I think that should be possible. At the very end the system disks could get a problem also and that shouldn't be a reason to buy all licenses again...

Kind regards!

Bernhard

AlexDawson

You are describing what we see as transfer - and only the original purchaser is permitted to use our software on the controller.

Disposing of the data is typically the responsibility of the original purchaser, and they would have the license codes to re-install the system. 

Public