Ask The Experts

Used capacity in NetApp storage is not sync with used capacity on OS level

madi

Hi all,
i am working on to expand the volume from NetApp storage and resize it on OS server.
What i have done so far was as below:

-Unmount the existing path and delete the old volume group.
-Expand the LUN from NetApp controller and mount it into a server.
-Create the LVM from new mounted volume.
-Resize the volume on OS level.

The problem that i am facing right now is the LUN in NetApp storage is still showing 49% used
capacity but it shows 1% used capacity on OS level.
I have deleted all the snapshots but it still didnt clear up my used capacity in NetApp storage.

The used capacity in NetApp storage should reduce to 1% following the same used capacity on OS level. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Below are my specs:
NetApp controller OS: Data ONTAP 8.2P2
Server OS:RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.2
Using iscsi protocol.

Kindly advice.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Used capacity in NetApp storage is not sync with used capacity on OS level

AlexDawson

Hi there!

LUNs work like hard drives in that you interact with them at block level - you put a filesystem on them, and manage that filesystem with your attached client. When you delete a file from a client filesystem, it merely deletes the reference to those blocks. From the point of view of the SAN, those file blocks are still in use. We have a space reclaim option available for NTFS with snapdrive, but not for Linux - https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1013508/~/space-not-reclaimed-after-migrating-data-off-lun-

It sounds like you've tried to reuse a LUN instead of creating a new one - the simple answer is that you should have created a new one in this scenario with these aims, but other than space used, there isn't a significant issue.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Earn Rewards for Your Review!
GPI Review Banner
All Community Forums
Public