Ask The Experts

Failed to get DSM and MPIO properties from driver

CODNCHIPS

Hi,

I'm stuck.

I looked at a Windows server (2008R2) today (Which currently has disks presented over FCP) to setup the iSCSI configuration as part of our transistion prep work when SnapDrive presented me with a complaint that I have no MPIO software installed.

I do, I have the Data ONTAP DSM.  Looking under the Server Storage where I would expect to see the Active\Passive paths for the presented disks, I see none!!  When I attempt to look at the settings, I am presented with the message "Failed to get DSM and MPIO properties from driver.  Showing default properties".

I can't answer "what's changed" - I don't believe anything has  - the disks are still presented.  I have restarted some services, such as various  SnapDrive & the  Data ONTAP VSS Hardware provider.

I'm curious as to whether re-running the installer may resolved (thinking a driver file has corrupted) - BUT don't know if there is an impact.  The system is live, disks are still being presented .  MPIO must be working as I'm not see quadruple instances of the disks.  Bit stuck at the moment, as there isn't a wealth of information for troubleshooting.  I've neved seen this before.  Any ideas would be super 🙂  I've attempted to include all screen shots in one snip 🙂

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Failed to get DSM and MPIO properties from driver

CODNCHIPS

What's also interesting, is if I drop onto the Windows CMD and issue MPCLAIM -s -d then OS thinks that Data ONTAP DSM is the "king" - I've attached a snip.

CODNCHIPS

I've found a log file "DataOntapDSMGUILog" which seems to complain about a problem with a powershell command "get-sandisk" - I'll see what I can find with that...

06/19/2019 05:09:21:214 :  ProcessID= 6400 ThreadID= 9 Failed To Retrieve Device Information
06/19/2019 05:14:21:015 :  ProcessID= 6400 ThreadID= 9 INFO: Auto-Refresh, OverrideUnmapAuditFlag: False turnOnOffUnmapCounter 3
06/19/2019 05:14:21:015 :  ProcessID= 6400 ThreadID= 9 INFO: RefreshDisks, added turnOffUnmap parameter to get-sandisk
06/19/2019 05:14:21:124 :  ProcessID= 6400 ThreadID= 9 ERROR: Failed to Invoke PowerShell get-sandisk Command, reason = The term 'get-sandisk' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
06/19/2019 05:14:21:124 :  ProcessID= 6400 ThreadID= 9 INFO: RefreshDisks: get-sandisk retry attempt 0
06/19/2019 05:14:21:124 :  ProcessID= 6400 ThreadID= 9 ERROR: RefreshDisks: Caught exception System.Management.Automation.CommandNotFoundException: The term 'get-sandisk' is no

CODNCHIPS

Right - getting closer.

So the "get-sandisk" comes from an ntapmp powershell module - which no longer appears to be present on this box.

I can see it on a similiar server that was build at the same time.  Where\how can I import this module from?

I'm thinking back to the "re-run" the installer again as a repair, but don't know if it will drop the connections to the disk?

Does anyone know?  If I answer my own question before a response, then I'll post it.

CODNCHIPS

Almost there (I think)

I've found the shortcut to the DataONTAP DSM powershell, with the ntapmp.pds1 file.

This is present on a working box from Windows PowerShell ISE, but not on the broken.#

I manually imported the module and it brilliantly contained the get-sandisk cmdlet, however it didn't seem to stay within the library.  Next stop "How to make powershell modules stick" 🙂

CODNCHIPS

Got it.  On the box I was playing with, somone had upgraded the version of Powershell to V4 (The other working box was v3).

I had to create a folder for the module under the modules section and dump the files in there - et voila all worked.

Well done me

View solution in original post

Earn Rewards for Your Review!
GPI Review Banner
All Community Forums
Public