Cloud Volumes ONTAP

Volumes in cloud HA

heightsnj

I am confused with how volumes should be created in OnTap cloud HA environment:

1.  When I create a volume,  do I need to specify two aggregates in two respective nodes in a active-active HA? How can they get synced? As I understand, if one node gets failed, then the other will be taking over, so, the volume will have to be consistent in across two nodes.

2. Unlike SVM in a regular cluster, whereas I use the SVM’s NFS lif for exporting a share, in cloud,I would have to use a floating IP that point a node for exporting NFS share. Correct? If yes, what will happen if this node gets failed?

Please advise. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

phoebeg

@heightsnj wrote:

I am confused with how volumes should be created in OnTap cloud HA environment:

1.  When I create a volume,  do I need to specify two aggregates in two respective nodes in a active-active HA? How can they get synced? As I understand, if one node gets failed, then the other will be taking over, so, the volume will have to be consistent in across two nodes.

2. Unlike SVM in a regular cluster, whereas I use the SVM’s NFS lif for exporting a share, in cloud,I would have to use a floating IP that point a node for exporting NFS share. Correct? If yes, what will happen if this node gets failed?

Please advise. Thanks!

Hi @heightsnj, the nice part about Cloud Volumes ONTAP is that the volumes are automatically synchronised if using the HA configuration - you don't have to specify the aggregate on the secondary node. The storage replication is managed by the ONTAP OS. This is an active/passive configuration where the second node is only used in the event of a failover.

If you want to use the second node for active workloads then you would need to create a data aggregate on the second node.

The failover of LIFs depends on the configuration of your Cloud Volumes ONTAP instance in AWS:

* Single node, or both nodes in the same Availability Zone: You do not need to use a floating IP address.  Clients will access the data IP address of the SVM.

* Nodes in different Availability Zones: A floating IP address is automatically created and managed by the mediator node.  During failover, the floating IP address will be migrated by the mediator node to point to the surviving node's data LIF.  You can also access the data LIF on the node directly, and re-point DNS during a failover.

Public