Cloud Volumes ONTAP

unable to create cluster peer

Muru

we are unable to created cluster peer between FSx to on premise. getting below error.

Please help me on this.

FsxIdxxxxxxxxxxxx::> cluster peer create -address-family ipv4 -peer-addrs 10.x.x.x,10.x.x.x,10.x.x.x,10.x.x.x

Notice: Use a generated passphrase or choose a passphrase of 8 or more characters. To ensure the authenticity of the peering relationship, use a phrase or
sequence of characters that would be hard to guess.

Enter the passphrase:
Confirm the passphrase:

The passphrases do not match. Enter the passphrase, then confirm it by entering the same passphrase again.

Enter the passphrase:
Confirm the passphrase:

Error: command failed: Using peer-address 10.x.x.x: An introductory RPC to the peer address "10.x.x.x" failed: RPC: Unable to receive [from mgwd on
node "FsxIdxxxxxxxxxxxx-01" (VSID: -1) to xcintro at 10.x.x.x]. Verify that the peer address is correct, and then try the operation again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

I suggest raise a ticket with NetApp support and refer the following kb (if it applies)

This kb covers the same error you have shared but I am not sure as this is a peering between FSx(ONTAP) and on-premise(FAS/AFF Ontap). 

Cluster peering fails on clusters with customized cipher suites
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Protection_and_Security/SnapMirror/Cluster_peering_fails_on_clusters_with_customized_cipher_suit...

Attempts to create a cluster peer fail with below error message.
Error: command failed: Using peer-address XX.XXX.XX.X: An introductory RPC to the peer address "XX.XX.XX.XX" failed to connect: RPC: Remote system error
[from mgwd on node "XXXXXXXXX" (VSID: -1) to xcintro at XX.XX.XX.XX]. Verify that the peer address is correct and try again.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Ontapforrum

I suggest raise a ticket with NetApp support and refer the following kb (if it applies)

This kb covers the same error you have shared but I am not sure as this is a peering between FSx(ONTAP) and on-premise(FAS/AFF Ontap). 

Cluster peering fails on clusters with customized cipher suites
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Protection_and_Security/SnapMirror/Cluster_peering_fails_on_clusters_with_customized_cipher_suit...

Attempts to create a cluster peer fail with below error message.
Error: command failed: Using peer-address XX.XXX.XX.X: An introductory RPC to the peer address "XX.XX.XX.XX" failed to connect: RPC: Remote system error
[from mgwd on node "XXXXXXXXX" (VSID: -1) to xcintro at XX.XX.XX.XX]. Verify that the peer address is correct and try again.

Muru

thanks for your reply. I will work with support on this. Also please help me, how to get serial number from FSx

Ontapforrum

I have no idea if FSx(ONTAP) follows the same licensing format. But, if you have access to "FSx - ONTAP CLI", try this command:

::> system node show -fields serialnumber

(If that doesn't work, just create a support case with on-premise Filer and seek assistance from Support)

Muru

This command not working on this array.

Error: "show" is not a recognized command

NetApp Release 9.11.1P3: Thu Sep 29 16:06:51 UTC 2022

Ontapforrum

ok.  How about if you just do this and do tab support ?

::> system node show -fields [press tab] 

What options do you see ?

Muru

I don't see show option. After "system node" we have only option " virtual-machine instance "

::> system node virtual-machine instance

Ontapforrum

Output of that command  - system node virtual-machine instance?

Does it show Provider : AWS ?   Is there Instance/Account ID ? Try to use that for support case ?

Muru

no, it shows only capacity

Node: FSxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-01
Consumer: FSx
Storage Type: SSD
Storage Capacity (GB): 1500
IOPS/GB: 4500
Throughout Capacity (MBps): 128

Ontapforrum

In that case, just go to section:
https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/cloud-manager-fsx-ontap/start/concept-fsx-aws.html#supported-regions

Getting help
For questions or technical support issues associated with your AWS FSx file system, infrastructure or any AWS solution using this service, use the Support Center in your AWS console to open a support case to AWS.

Else - Just raise a phone/online-ticket with NetApp, I am sure they will guide you in the right direction.

Ontapforrum

I found some info on this page:

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/cloud-manager-fsx-ontap/start/concept-fsx-aws.html#supported-regions

Getting help
Amazon FSx for ONTAP is an AWS first-party solution. For questions or technical support issues associated with your AWS FSx file system, infrastructure or any AWS solution using this service, use the Support Center in your AWS console to open a support case to AWS. Select the “FSx for ONTAP” service and appropriate category. Provide the remaining information required to create your AWS support case.

For general questions specific to BlueXP or BlueXP micro-services, you can start with the in-line BlueXP chat.

For technical support issues specific to BlueXP or micro-services within, you can open a NetApp support ticket using your BlueXP account level serial number. You will need to register your BlueXP serial number to activate support.

Muru

Yes, I am trying to raise support case on this now. Thanks for your support. I will post you once the issue solved

Public