EF & E-Series, SANtricity, and Related Plug-ins

E-series basic access

QSINetApp

Hi all, I inherited an old E2700 (I believe) at my company.  It is powered up and the users would like to regain access to their data.  The server the drive was shared from had a catastrophic failure.  I'm not an IT expert, but can find my way around a little.  They believe the drive was attached via iSCSI with two LUN volume groups, multipath, etc.   That part seems pretty straight forward once I can talk to the device.  I believe I simply need to know one of those iSCSI IP addresses, which are likely configured inside the NetApp controller OS.  So I've tried to gain some access...

So far, I have two ethernet cables attached, one to management controller port I believe.   They have MAC addresses on the back of the box, and I can see that they each received an IP address, and I can ping them.   I port-scanned those two IP address with nmap, and only port 2463 is open, looks like a legacy management access port?

I installed santricity web rest API and web server on a Ubuntu 20.04 box, and I can connect to that service from my mac.   I had hoped to simply enter the IP addresses from above into the Add/Discover storage arrays page, and the drive would show up.   That is not the case.   So I'm not entirely sure what those two IP addresses/ports are for.

Next, I also have 4 ethernet cables attached to the iSCSI ports.  Those also have MAC addresses, however I do not see any of those on my network.   I had some old notes that claimed these ports were set up with static IP addresses, which I had hoped I could use with "iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p IP_ADDRESS", but since I cannot ping those IP addressed, aforementioned command will not work, which it does not.  The appropriate green lights are nicely lit up, so things seem connected.

So, my question is - what is my next step?   I was thinking trying to connect via that old serial port on the back, but that seems difficult, I would need to buy a mini-USB to DB9 connector, then find an old computer with a serial cable, or buy a serial to USB converter or something.   Not a fan of hacked together hardware.   But please let me know if that is the only path left.   Or if there is some other obvious thing I've overlooked.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NetApp_RZ

Issue was resolved via info from older ASUPS from system which provided config info needed to regain access to system.

Marking the thread as resolved.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

avanharen

I have had these sort of discussions with my account manager before.

System Management tools such as Santricity should be always a free download.

NetApp_RZ

In this instance, the OP was provided with info needed to restore data access as we took the conversation private.

I'm not disagreeing with the Santricity download situation having been here since the Symbios days.
I am however bound by current processes.

LSIEngenio

yes santricity should always be a free download. you should be at least able to download what ever version was current when your support expired. not making it easily downloadable just annoys people and makes them consider other storage options.

i been playing with engenio kit since FCAL disks on IBM and SUN systems, good old SUN 6580 was a beast.

its always been one of my fav's for fast simple storage. 

NetApp_RZ

Those ol Sun 65/6780's bring back memories.  🙂
Those were XBB/XBB2 based and certainly were quite the monsters.

I still remember hand-building some of those on our manufacturing line during the quarter end crunches.

The first systems I worked with here were the old venerable RM-10's and RM20's right before the 3240's and 3621's became the new kings in the parallel SCSI-DIFF days.

LSIEngenio

if you been with the products since Symbios days, man, you have seen it all 😉

impressive indeed 🙂

netappcustomer1

im having the same problem, lost access to the server wich host santricity due to catastrophic failure, and im unable to connect to muy e2700 series array.

Anyone can help with that? The array is working properly but im unable to manage it

Cant really believe that someone who paid the cost of one of these machines cant download teh software for managing its own machine

Thank you

@LSIEngenio @NetApp_RZ 

NetApp_RZ

Hello @netappcustomer1,

As with the other system, I would need you to PM me the chassis serial number such that I could look for old ASUPS to discover what your iSCSI ports were configured as.
Otherwise, a support case will need to be opened as I cannot provide serial port shell credentials in the open.

As per the other post, the Santricty download issue is company policy that I am not in control of nor can change.
However, I feel your pain.

If you have the chassis serial number, let me know via PM and we can go from there to see if we have any record of the system and its configuration.
Thanks.

Public