EF & E-Series, SANtricity, and Related Plug-ins

replacement disk of 4TB by 12TB on production

ythetiot

Dear,

We have 1 Eseries E2812  with 18 Disk of 4TB and 1 DDP  we must replace disk of 4 TB by disk of 12TB.

we have 12 Disk disks on 4TB on shelf ID99 and 6 disks of 4 TB on shelf ID01 slot 0 to 5. and free slot 6 to 11.

- Adding 6 New Disk in Shelf ID 01 Slot 6 to 11

- Extend DDP with theses 6 Disk

• - We will have a warning " adding disk of 12 TB with Disk of 4TB"

If you must add unassigned drives with a larger capacity, be aware that the usable capacity of the unassigned drives that you add is reduced so that they match the current capacities of the drives in the pool or volume group.

(we will lose 8 TB on each new disk) .

- Rebalancing of Aggregate DDP.

- Decrease DDP by removing 6 disks of 4TB shelf ID99 slot 0 to 5.

- Replace Physical disk 4TB by 12 TB shelf ID99 slot 0 to 5

- Increase DDP with 6 new disks of 12TB

- We will have a warning " adding disk of 12 TB with Disk of 4TB" we will loses 8 TB on each new disk.

- Decrease DDP by removing 6 disks of 4TB shelf ID99 slot 6 to 11.

- Replace Physical disk 4TB by 12 TB shelf ID99 slot 6 to 11.

- Decrease DDP by removing 6 disks of 4TB shelf ID01 slot 0 to 5.

- Replace Physical disk 4TB by 12 TB shelf ID01 slot 0 to 5.

- at this moment we don’t have disk 4 TB in Pool DDP we will have just 24 disks of 12 TB

- I would like saw if is possible to retrieve full capacity of disk 12 TB on Aggregate DPP.

Thanks in advance 

8 REPLIES 8

NetApp_RZ

I'd make a new disk pool with the 12TB drives only , migrate all the data off the 4TB drives disk pool, delete the old disk pool, remove the now unassigned 4TB drives, replace with more 12TB drives so they can be added to the new disk pool.

Until all disks in the 4TB disk disk pool are replaced with 12TB disks, they will all remain capped at 4TB each so some manual "slide puzzle" data shuffling will be required depending on available empty disk slot space.

ythetiot

Yes it's better solution But I have only 6 slot of empty and can't move data outside Aggregate DDP. I don't have another Shelf disk !! and my question after the data data shuffling when I have only disk of 12TB Remowed all disk of 4TB Could you confirm please if I can increase the capped capacity to 12TB in I can increase space of DDP

NetApp_RZ

I misread your drive counts thinking you had 12 empty slots.
Also a little unsure if your existing diskpool is using all 18 of the 4TB disks.
If it is, any larger disk will be capped to 4TB until all 4TB disks are replaced.

So best case would be to use a traditional Raid 6 VG and volumes with the 6 new 12TB drives to move data off of the DP using 4 TB disks so that they can be replaced with more 12TB disks.  Then you can build a new permanent DP with 12TB disks to use all their capacity.

ythetiot

Yes sure !! it's better solution but I can't move data to another new destination internal or External SAN.. If I keep at level off aggregate I don't have theses issue of migrations of data between aggregate 

ythetiot

When you tell me "will be capped to 4TB until all 4TB disks are replaced".

When all disk will be on 12TB the uncap will be automatically or not ? if yes capacity of my aggregate will be increasing automatically or not .

NetApp_RZ

Then the only way to use the extra capacity of the new 12TB disks will be to replace all the 4TB disks in the pool with 12TB disks.
Once all the 4TB disks are replaced, the 12TB disks extra capacity will become available and the disk pool can be grown.

MitchBlackburn
Yes, once all the 4TB drives have been replaced by 12TB drives you will have all the capacity of the 12TB drives available for use.

ythetiot

all capacity will be available automatically after removed last disk inside pool or I must launch other command .  

Public