General Discussion

Mounting/Mapping disk to install disk firwmare

GlenG

I need to update the disks in a FAS3250 running 7-Mode 8.2.4P4 for "NetApp Support Bulletin 1088175: [Impact: Critical] New HDD firmware for *HCOBE and *HCBEP to prevent high failure rate and data loss particularly if repurposing drives and zeroing them"

The instructions call for "Map a drive or mount the storage system's root volume as a user with administrator privileges."

I think it wants me to map a drive using my Windows 10 desktop but I am not a windows person.

Anyone know where I can get more detailed instructions?  I opened a support case but so far I have only received a link to the instructions I am trying to use.

Thanks,

GlenG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donny_lang

You should be able to use the command "net use <Windows drive letter> \\<netapp_hostname>\etc$" from the Windows Command Prompt to accomplish that step in the instructions. It'll just map the /etc directory to whichever drive letter you choose, which you'll then see in Windows Explorer as a "browseable" drive.

Some documentation for further reading: https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1368862/html/GUID-7CD643ED-3429-4FA9-A464-24FAED420AA6.html 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

donny_lang

You should be able to use the command "net use <Windows drive letter> \\<netapp_hostname>\etc$" from the Windows Command Prompt to accomplish that step in the instructions. It'll just map the /etc directory to whichever drive letter you choose, which you'll then see in Windows Explorer as a "browseable" drive.

Some documentation for further reading: https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1368862/html/GUID-7CD643ED-3429-4FA9-A464-24FAED420AA6.html 

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public