General Discussion

Need help to create WFA to clone a LUN from snapshot

Hitesh123

Hi , i am new to WFA and i need to create a work flow which can clone a LUN using a snapshot of parent volume and export it to a host. Until now i have created work flow with below steps and currently i am stuck on step 4. 

step 1 : - Cluster name --should be populated using mysql query  -- this is already done

step 2 : - vserver name - - should be populated using mysql query  -- this is already done

step 3 : - volume name -- - should be populated using mysql query  -- this is already done

step 4 : - snapshot list -- It should populate the list of snapshots for volume selected in step 3.  -- I am stuck here

my OCUM version is 7.2 and WFA version is 5.0 . While searching on google i found seems it is problem with schema cm_storage as there is no data for snapshot in it. But how i can fix it. I am sorry i am new to WFA so please excuse for basic questions. 

Thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3

mbeattie

Hi,

The cm_storage database does not contain snapshots. You need to configure a Data source for it (Scheme, Dictionary and Data Source Types).

• Create a scheme called 'cm_snapshots'
  • Create a Dictionary in the cm_snapshot' scheme called 'snapshot'
  • Create a Data Source Type in the 'cm_snapshots' scheme

Here is an example of the dictionary:

snapshots.png

Here is the data source type:

#'------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#'Ensure that dates are always returned in English
#'------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[System.Threading.Thread]::CurrentThread.CurrentCulture="en-US"
#'Create the output file
$snapshotCsv = "./snapshot.csv"
New-Item -Path $snapshotCsv -type file -force
$clusterAddress = Get-WfaRestParameter "host"
Get-WFALogger -Info -Message "Enumerating Snapshots on Cluster ""$clusterAddress"""
#'Connect to the cluster
Try{
   Connect-WfaCluster $clusterAddress -Timeout 300000
   $c = Get-NcCluster -ErrorAction Stop
}Catch{
   Get-WFALogger -Error -Message $("Failed connecting to cluster ""$clusterAddress"". Error " + $_.Exception.Message)
   Throw "Failed connecting to cluster ""$clusterAddress"""
}
#'Create a query to filter snapshots
$query = @{
   Vserver = 'vs*';
   Name    = '!*snapmirror*';
}
#'Set the snapshot attributes to query.
$attributes =  @{
   AccessTime = "";
   Dependency = "";
   SnapshotInstanceUuid = "";
}
#'Enumerate the snapshots.
Try{
   $snapshots = Get-NcSnapshot -Query $query -Attributes $attributes -ErrorAction Stop
   Get-WFALogger -Info -Message "Enumerated snapshots on cluster ""$clusterAddress"""
}Catch{
   Get-WFALogger -Error -Message $("Failed connecting to cluster ""$clusterAddress"". Error " + $_.Exception.Message)
   Throw "Failed connecting to cluster ""$clusterAddress"""
}
#'Add each snapshot to the CSV file for importing.
ForEach($snapshot in $snapshots){
   $vserver      = $snapshot.Vserver
   $cluster      = $c.ClusterName
   $volume       = $snapshot.Volume
   $snapshotName = $snapshot.Name
   $dependency   = $snapshot.Dependency
   $snapshotID   = $snapshot.SnapshotInstanceUuid
   $timestamp    = ($snapshot.AccessTimeDT).ToString("yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss")
   Add-Content $snapshotCsv ([byte[]][char[]] "\N`t$cluster`t$snapshotName`t$timestamp`t$volume`t$vserver`t$dependency`t$snapshotID`n") -Encoding Byte
}

Hope that helps

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

mbeattie

Also note that you can filter the query to meeting your requirements. In this example i've excluded snapmirror snapshots and filtered snapshots for volumes on vservers matching 'vs*' (EG vserver1, vserver2, vserver3 etc)

$query = @{
   Vserver = 'vs*';
   Name    = '!*snapmirror*';
}

Update to meet your requirements

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Hitesh123

Hi Matt,

Many thanks for your help. Let me try this. I will get back to you with results soon. 

Thanks again.

Regards

Hitesh

Public