General Discussion

specifications for FAS500f

CS13

I have searched all over the Netapp websites (Hardware Universe, Knowledge Base, Data Sheets) but I cannot find an answer to my simple question:

What are the hard drive specifications for the FAS500f?

• How many hard drives does this hold?
  • What size hard drives (2.5", 3.5", etc.)
  • Does this hold SSDs and/or traditional "spinning" hard disks?
  • What is the max. capacity of each hard drive that can be installed?
  • What is the total available storage capacity when x number of hard drives with z storage capacity are installed?

I don't believe that an external disk shelf is required for this hardware, but that this is a controller that also has built in drive bays?

My next question is, what kind of switch would be required for this setup, with just one node installed (1 HA pair) and no cluster environment? I am looking at the Cisco C9200 series.

Is there somewhere that I can find this information? Synology makes this stuff very clear on their website and data sheets. I am new to NetApp and finding information is incredibly difficult and time consuming.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

Hi there! NetApp operates in an appliance model, where we need to supply all of the drives for the system and do so with support contracts etc, so it is somewhat different to Synology.

The FAS500f comes with either 24 or 48 x 15.3TB 2.5 inch QLC U.2 connected NVMe SSDs. Formatted capacity of 24 is about 336TB and 48 is about 673TB, however that is only half the story. With NetApp deduplication, compression and snapshot technologies, for general purpose NAS data we expect most organisations will be able to store the equivalent of what other arrays without those technologies would need 1Pb and 2Pb for respectively.

With no cluster environment, you plug the nodes together on the back with loopback cables and the only switches required are for client connectivity, which is 10GBaseT built in with options for 25Gb Ethernet and 32GB FC available.

If you'd like to talk to the field team for your region, please send me a message with your corporate contact details and I can put you in touch with them.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AlexDawson

Hi there! NetApp operates in an appliance model, where we need to supply all of the drives for the system and do so with support contracts etc, so it is somewhat different to Synology.

The FAS500f comes with either 24 or 48 x 15.3TB 2.5 inch QLC U.2 connected NVMe SSDs. Formatted capacity of 24 is about 336TB and 48 is about 673TB, however that is only half the story. With NetApp deduplication, compression and snapshot technologies, for general purpose NAS data we expect most organisations will be able to store the equivalent of what other arrays without those technologies would need 1Pb and 2Pb for respectively.

With no cluster environment, you plug the nodes together on the back with loopback cables and the only switches required are for client connectivity, which is 10GBaseT built in with options for 25Gb Ethernet and 32GB FC available.

If you'd like to talk to the field team for your region, please send me a message with your corporate contact details and I can put you in touch with them.

Hope this helps!

CS13

Thank you Alex. Very straight forward and helpful. As I said I am new to NetApp so that was a good layman's intro. to Netapp products.

Public