Legacy Product Discussions

SQL 2008 R2 and Windows 2008 R2 - Access Denied

aaronsalkeld

We are in the process of migrating our existing SQL databases to SQL 2008 R2 running on Windows 2008 R2 x64. I have build 5 new servers. These are virtual machines running on VMWare 4.1

I have created a C: drive and S: swap as VMDK's. I have installed Snapdrive 6.3.0 and created G:, H:, I:, and J: drives. They are all QTrees created on a FAS2040.

G: will be used for the databases
H: will be used for the logs
I: will be used for the system databases
J: will be used for Snapinfo

Our DBA logs into any one of these servers and has full administrator rights to the server including the drives. He has been given these rights via an Active directory group which is a member of local administrator's group.

He has full rights all of the drives but after installing SQL 2008R2 he gets a 'access denied' error to the G: H: and I: drives. All other drives are fine.

I have installed SnapManager for SQL v5.1 after the SQL installation and configured the server but still he gets access denied.

Has anybody else found this issue and if so what did you do to resolve it?

Please help!

Aaron

9 REPLIES 9

jwpaccess

Did you set the QTREES to use NTFS permissions?

aaronsalkeld

Thanks for your reply.

Yes all Security is set to ntfs within the NetApp.

jwpaccess

Are you connecting to an iSCSI LUN or a NFS export?

aaronsalkeld

I believe it is a iSCSI LUN, how do I confirm this?

jwpaccess

In FilerView select NFS and click on Manage Exports to see if the volumes associated with the SnapDrive configuration are listed there.  If so check to make sure that you have "root access" checked.

aaronsalkeld

Have just checked and the SnapDrive volumes are not listed here, so that means we are using iSCSI LUNs and not NFS exports.

jwpaccess

Sorry, I would have to get my eyes on it to be of any help.  Too many unkowns for me to give you a next step.  I would be happy to help further if you want to contact me.

Josh

chrisrpark

Hello,

I have a very similar problem with 2008R2 and SQL 2008. This has happened to us twice now, once when using snap manager for sql and one with just snap drive on the server.

Our DBA says that the issue happened when installing SQL and she feels it may have been when the reporting server part was installing but this may just be coincidence.

It seems that the ACL on the drives are all messed up now and we have to manually change them to regain access.

If anyone has any other thoughts it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Update: I doubled checked with the DBA and it is SQL 2008 R2 as well that we are having this problem on. She is going to reinstall SQL and I have enabled auditing on the drives to see what could be changing the permissions that is causing the access is denied error to the disks.

aaronsalkeld

This issue for us has now been resolved.

After speaking to our support company they have informed us that the issue is rights related.

We use a different username for each service and these accounts all needed to be a member of the Local Administrators group on each server.

Services:

SnapDrive
SnapDrive Management Service
SnapManager
SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)

Public